The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a skip navigation and other utilty links as well as the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.
Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Proin ac tincidunt dui. Etiam dapibus semper velit at molestie. Phasellus quis lorem sed arcu ultricies suscipit. Maecenas tempus facilisis scelerisque.
Pellentesque nibh magna, ornare vitae sodales a, bibendum quis mauris. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Proin ac tincidunt dui. Etiam dapibus semper velit at molestie. Phasellus quis lorem sed arcu ultricies suscipit. Maecenas tempus facilisis scelerisque.
2013-14 CE Advisory Board
- Joyce H. Burstein, COE, Director
- Doug Kaback, AMC, Assistant Director
- Debi Cours, SBM
- Danielle Spratt, HUM
- Amy Levin, SBS
- Sloane Burke, HHD
- Virginia Vandergon-Oberholzer, CSM
- Nhut Ho, ECS
Service Learning at CSU Northridge
Service Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities. Faculty choose a limited number of meaningful partnerships with the goal of providing students with different, but consistent off-campus learning experiences. Through service learning, students-from kindergartners to college students-use what they learn in the classroom to solve real-life problems. They not only learn the practical applications of their studies, they become actively contributing citizens and community members through the service they perform.
Service Learning Pedagogical Development
- Workshops designed Introduce the Pedagogy & to Strengthen the Pedagogy of Service Learning
- Assistance Revising Course Syllabi to Include a Service Learning Component
- Reading Recommendations for Students Engaged in Service Learning
- Assistance Completing the Service Learning Project Planning Checklist
Risk Management Support for Service Learning Courses
- Process Requests to Partner from Community Agencies for the purposes of service learning
- Conduct Sites Visits to Potenial Community Partners to determine potenial risks to students
- Provide a Database for Students Service Learning Plans and Agreements (kept on file for 3 years for audits)
- Collect and Electronically Store Student Time Sheets and Site Supervisors Evaluations of Students (kept on file for 3 years for audits)
- Pre- and Post-Service Evaluations are available for Faculty wishing to gauge students' tendencies toward civic engagement (useful for conducting research)
- Free TB Tests for Students engaged in a service learning assignment
- Competitive Grant Process to Support Development of New Service Learning Courses
- Competitive Grant Process to support both Discipline-Based and Interdisciplinary Service Learning Course Projects
- Community Engagement
- 18111 Nordhoff Street
- Sierra Hall 443
- Northridge, CA 91330-8370
- Dr. Joyce Burstein, Director
- Nicole Linton, Service Learning Coordinator
- (818) 677-7395
- Hours: M-F, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.