- James David Ballard
Office Location: SN 331
Office Phone: 677-2009
- Ph.D. in Sociology from UNLV, 2000
- Masters in Gen. Studies (Eco/Pol Sci) from JSU, 1992
- B.A. in Sociology from JSU, 1991
- Specialty Areas: Terrorism, Energy security, Radiological and nuclear transportation, Criminology, Criminal justice, Research Methods.
- SOC 230 Human Sexuality
- SOC 250 Introduction to Criminology and Criminal Justice
- SOC 350 Population Dynamics
- SOC 364 Social Statistics
- SOC364L Social Statistics Laboratory
- SOC 401 Class, Status and Power
- SOC 474 Corrections
- SOC 485A Special Topics in Criminology (various classes)
- SOC 485B Special Topics in Criminal Justice (various classes)
- SOC 485 Research Methods
- SOC 485L Research Methods Laboratory
- SOC 498 Field Study and Reports (AEE, BEE and CEE varieties)
- SOC 498S Field Study and reports (seminar)
- SOC 622 Seminar in Complex organizations
- SOC 690 Social Research
- SOC 696 Directed Graduate Research
- SOC 697 Directed Graduate Comprehensive Studies
- SOC 698 Thesis/Graduate project
Selected Publications and Presentations
Ballard, James David. 2011. “Report on the status of the NRC proposed rulemaking for 10 CFR 73.37,
Physical Protection of Irradiated Reactor Fuel In Transit, and a compilation of written comments
submitted to the NRC in response to the October 13, 2010 Federal Register notice (75 FR 62695-
62716). Reports includes comments submitted to NRC on the associated guidance document,
NUREG-0561, Rev.2.” State of Nevada, Nuclear Waste Projects Office, Carson City, NV.
Ballard, James David. 2011. “report reviewing security aspects of the March 2011 Fukushima Daiichi
nuclear disaster, identifying human-initiated events before and after the earthquake and
tsunami. State of Nevada, Nuclear Waste Projects Office, Carson City, NV.
Ballard, James David. 2011. “Prison Radicalization.” Los Angeles Joint Regional Intelligence Center.
Los Angeles, CA. Service learning project – Soc 485 Winter 2010/2011.
Ballard, James David. 2010. “Report on Methodologies Used in Preparation of Transportation Sabotage
Scenarios from 2001 to 2010: Research for NRC Hearing Testimony.” Tri-phase project
including literature review, analytical matrix and application of risk assessment methodology.
State of Nevada, Nuclear Waste Projects Office.
Ballard, James David. 2010. “Conflict Theory and Religious Violence.” Ross, Jeffrey Ian (ed.). 2010.
Religion and Violence: An Encyclopedia of Faith and Conflict from Antiquity to the Present.
Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, Inc.
Ballard, James David. 2010. “The World Trade Center Bombing and Religious Violence.” Ross, Jeffrey
Ian (ed.). 2010. Religion and Violence: An Encyclopedia of Faith and Conflict from Antiquity to
the Present. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, Inc.
Ballard, James David. 2010. “Organizational Profiling.” In Protecting the Homeland from International
and Domestic Terrorism Threats, eds. Fenstermacher, Laurie, Larry Kuznar and Anne
Speckhard. National Security Institute (Joint Staff): Washington, DC.
Research and Interests
Terrorism, Nuclear Waste Security, Oil and Gas Security, Criminology, Deviance, Juvenile Delinquency, Political Sociology, Qualitative Methods, Quantitative Methods