Presentations & Consultation


Our professional staff is available as consultants to assist you in your role as professor, administrator, advisor, counselor and/or leader of students. Consultation involves a collegial relationship in which the consultant(s) deal exclusively with your work-related or student issues. Services are available to any academic department or administrative unit, as well as any staff, and individual faculty members.

We offer different types of consultations for the CSUN community:

Dealing with Students Psychological Concerns

Your role as a resource/helper

Your role and involvement as a resource to students and helper is defined by your personality, values and preferences, as well as your current resources (demands in your position, time, and level of stress).

We encourage faculty and staff to find a balance between your care for student and your own self-care. At UCS we are here to help you define that balance and provide you with resources and guidance.

Recognizing Students in Distress

In your role as faculty or staff you are often in a unique position to help students because you may be one of the first to notice serious changes and because they may reveal their distress to you.

Feel free to download these resources to help students in distress:

When Students Can't Cope
Warning Signs of Students in Distress
Communicating with Students in Distress
The Art of Making a Referral to Counseling
Ways to Understand a Crisis
Guidelines for Responding to Disruptive or Threatening Student Behavior from the office of the Vice President of Student Affairs

Learning that a student is experiencing distress and figuring out how you can help them may be a difficult task, but don't feel you need to handle the situation alone. There are many resources within your own department and the different student support offices to help you in this process.

If you feel a need to discuss a specific student situation or need additional resources please call us at (818) 677-2366 during business hours and ask to speak to the on-call counselor or the Director.

Making a Referral to UCS

To make an appointment with a counselor, please have the student call (818) 677-2366. There is generally a more than one week wait for an initial appointment. For urgent or emergency assistance we are able to accommodate students on the same day. Students are advised to call and request to see the on-call counselor and/or walk in to our office.

Upon arriving the student will be asked to complete paperwork which will take approximately 15 minutes to complete, and most likely they will be able to speak to a counselor within an hour. If you decide to join the student by walking with them to our office, it would be helpful to give us a call to alert the on-call counselor about your approximate time of arrival.

For further information

Review Emergency and Urgent Care Assistance.

back to top

Critical Incident Consultation

UCS provides consultations to students, faculty and staff in response to any critical incident or disaster that may impact the well being of the CSUN community. We offer de-briefing and psychological-educational consultations for a variety of critical incidents including: death of a student, faculty or staff, natural disasters, violence on campus and other traumatic events experienced or witnessed. Please call (818) 677-2366 and ask to speak with the Director, Dr. Mark Stevens or the on-call counselor to arrange a consultation.

Consultation for Specific Student or Departmental Needs

You may request consultations to address the specific needs of your department or the needs of specific student groups. We routinely consult with the CSUN community about:

  • Our services
  • The psychological health of students
  • Addressing the needs of specific groups, for example: students in a specific club or organization, first year students, students at risk, residential communities, etc.
  • Collaborating to plan and implement programs.
  • Collaborating with departments in their training of faculty, staff, and students.

back to top

Employee Assistance Program Consultations

Assistance will be provided to help you find the most appropriate counseling or mental health referral. Please call and ask to speak with the Director at (818) 677-4069. This service is available to all full and part-time faculty and staff.

back to top