TPE 5: Student Engagement
Candidates for Teaching Credentials clearly communicate instructional objectives to students. They ensure the active and equitable participation of all students. They ensure that students understand what they are to do during instruction and monitor student progress toward academic goals. If students are struggling and off-task, candidates examine why and use strategies to re-engage them. Candidates encourage students to share and examine points of view during lessons. They use community resources, student experiences, and applied learning activities to make instruction relevant. They extend the intellectual quality of student thinking by asking stimulating questions and challenging student ideas. Candidates teach students to respond to and frame meaningful questions.
Required for TPE 4 or 5: lesson plan (1-2 days) that incorporates technology.
- Lesson plan (1-2 days) that actively involves students in learning
- Modifications of lessons for struggling readers/learners that increase student engagement
- Lessons and student work samples of student questioning
- Pre-reading activity that promotes interest in a topic to be studied
- Asynchronous electronic discussion group that engages students in writing, critique and discussion