Ed.D. Program - Admissions
The Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership is offered by the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies in the Michael D. Eisner College of Education at California State University, Northridge. The Program will admit a limited pool of educators each year who meet the academic requirements and who possess personal qualities and professional experiences that suggest a strong potential for success as doctoral candidates and as educational leaders. The program is intended to prepare individuals for advanced level leadership positions. Admission will be granted on a competitive basis.
The most highly qualified applicants among the pool will be admitted into the program. Applications will be evaluated and selected according to the following criteria:
- Academic ability to successfully complete doctoral study, as evidenced by successful completion of an earned master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education, undergraduate and graduate grades, and GRE scores.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills and conceptual/analytical skills, as indicated by letters of recommendation, writing samples, and interview.
- Demonstrated success and substantial leadership experience in PreK-12 education or community colleges as evidenced by professional experience and strong letters of recommendation.
- Clear professional and scholarly goals in keeping with the mission and vision of the program as evidenced by the candidate’s personal statement.
- Evidence of the dispositions reflective of the mission and vision of the program based on letters of reference and a personal interview.
There are three phases to the application process: Pre-Selection, Selection to the Program, and Admission to the University. All applicants will submit materials for Pre-Selection; those most qualified will be invited to take part in the final selection process. Finally, accepted candidates must confirm their place in the cohort through application to the University.
Pre-Selection - Phase 1
Candidates will submit:
Completed preliminary application
- Official transcripts from each 2-year and 4-year college or university attended
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from the three sections of the General Test, taken within five years of applying to the Ed.D. Program (Please request your GRE scores to be sent directly to: Office of Doctoral Programs, California State University, Northridge, 18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330-8265)
- Three letters of recommendation from persons who can attest to the applicant’s leadership experience or potential for leadership (Please download the Recommendation Form)
A written Statement of Purpose, outlining the applicant’s reasons for seeking entrance to the program and future professional goals (2 pp.)
A current professional resume, highlighting relevant leadership experience (maximum 4 pp.)
A sample of academic or professional writing from the past ten years (maximum 20 pp.)
Please send the completed preliminary application, GRE scores, three sets of Letter of Recommendation, and other required materials to:
Office of Doctoral Programs
Education Building 3103
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8265
Phase II: Selection
The most promising candidates identified in the Pre-Selection process will complete:
- An Employer Statement of Support Form from the applicant’s supervisor, or, in the cases where this is not provided, the applicant’s plan for meeting the demands of the program and his/her professional responsibilities (1 p.)
- An interview on campus with the Doctoral Program Admissions Committee
Phase III: Admission to the University
Candidates who have been notified of their acceptance to the Ed.D. Program must apply to the University (online at CSU Mentor by June 1) in order to reserve their places.