Council of Chairs Meeting of May 9, 2011 Minutes
Attending: Bernardo Attias, Doris Helfner, Werner Horn, Hamid Johari, Steve Sinclair,
Sandra Stanley, Shari Tarver-Behring, Melanie Williams
1. Minutes: Attias will re-send and will be approved over email
2. Announcement - Jolene Koester is retiring in December (email was received at
beginning of meeting). Penny Jennings indicated the new search would start as
soon as feasible.
3. Dean and Department Chair’s Retreat Aug 22; New Chair Orientation Aug 19th.
Deans would have college meetings in the afternoon of the retreat and the
number of breakout sessions would be reduced as a result.
Suggested topics for breakout sessions include grading practices, S-Factor
Reform, Grant and development ideas, handling difficult student situations, and
research in learning and curriculum development.
4. 2011-3 member selections (2-year commitment to represent College):
• AMC – Attias will continue, with Jose Luis Benavides (Journalism) filling in for
Spring 2012 when Attias is on sabbatical. Attias also agreed to continue as
amanuensis, which Benavides will take over with next Spring.
• BAE – Paul Lazarony (Accounting)
• ECS – Ali Amini (Electrical + Computer Engineering)
• Oviatt – Lynne Lampert
• Tseng – Melanie Williams will follow up with Henrik Palasani-Minassians and
report back on who the new representative will be for Tseng
5. Election of new Chair – Shari Tarver-Behring (Educational Psychology and
Counseling) was nominated and accepted the nomination; she was elected by
consensus. Congratulations Shari!
6. Nursing Department – Joyce Munsch and Shane Frehlich shared plans for a new
Nursing Department on campus, noting that CSUN is the only nursing program
between UCLA and Bakersfield geographically, yet we have the smallest number
of students. The large demand for qualified nurses in the area speaks to demand
and relevance of the program, which has been extremely successful (98-100%
passing rate on licensing).
Original design by Pralaya Software Solutions. Recoded in accordance with W3C/WAI guidelines by Elizabeth Altman
Please direct questions or comments regarding site content to the chair of the committee.
Last updated: June 29, 2011