Council of Chairs Minutes for May 14, 2012 10:00am-12:00pm
Present: Amini, Benavides, DeBose, Heinrich, Horn, Kalfsbeek-Goetz, Lampert, Lazarony, Stahl,
Guests: Penelope Jennings, Sheila Grant (Psychology)
- The minutes of the March and April meetings were approved, pending minor revisions.
- New members for next year were announced: Jon Stahl will replace Jose Luis Benavides for the Mike Curb College of Arts, Media, and Communications; Helen Heinrich will replace Lynn Lampert for the Library; Vicki Pedone will replace Werner Horn for the College of Science and Mathematics. Shari-Tarver-Behring was unanimously re-elected as Chair.
- At 10:15 Dr. Penny Jennings (Faculty Affairs) joined the group to discuss the planning of the fall Deans and Chair Retreat: Workload for chair should be on the agenda. Moreover, it was decided that there should be more breakout sessions. Amini brought up the 15% F/S requirements, as it does not allow labs to be counted. Salary contraction/inversion is a serious issue, which is to be discussed in the plenary session with Provost Hellenbrand. Tarver-Behring and DeBose “volunteered to be on panels for breakout sessions.
- At 11:00 Dr. Sheila Grant (Psychology) joint us with a presentation of the results from the Campus Climate Survey: The survey finds that there are some serious issues with the campus climate. The survey only included faculty and staff, not students. Perceptions of comfort level are lower at the college/department level than at the university level. They are not uniformly distributed across colleges, with CSBS being particularly low, and Education being particularly high. Harrassment is personally experienced by an unacceptably high proportion of respondents. The results and recommendations of the survey are available at http://www.csun.edu/senate/reports/campusclimatesurveyresults051012.pdf . In the discussion afterwards, members compared the results with personal experiences over the last two decades. In general the situation has improved, but there is still need for further improvements.
- New business: The 15% F/S scheduling requirements were brought up by Amini. Labs don't count. It was decided that the COC should meet with Harry in fall about this issue.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:00pm.
Minutes prepared by Werner Horn
Original design by Pralaya Software Solutions. Recoded in accordance with W3C/WAI guidelines by Elizabeth Altman
Please direct questions or comments regarding site content to the chair of the committee.
Last updated: May 14, 2012