Council of Chairs Meeting of December 19, 2005 Minutes
Members present: AMC (Peter Nwosu), B&E (Shirley Svorny), Education (Rick Castallo), ECS (Nagi El Nagi), H&HD (Joyce Munsch), S&M (Magnhild Lien), S&BS (Nathan Weinberg), Oviatt (Doris Helfer), ExL (Tyler Blake), CFA (Julio Blanco).
- Minutes of November -- meeting were approved.
- Members were briefed by council chair on two guests invitations to the council: a). Provost's visit March 20 to discuss projected growth, faculty attrition and recruitment issues, advising models, chairs roles and rewards, and pattern of campus communication with departments, and b). EOP director's February 20 visit to discuss senate educational equity committee's request for support regarding executive order 665 on remediation and impact on academic programs.
- Council discussed the University Calendar for 2008-2009 and resolved to invite AVP for faculty affairs' to attend February 20 council meeting to clarify several issues. The approved calendar for AY 2006-2007 includes the possibility of an intersession. The start date for the Spring 2007 semester is January 25 and classes officially start on January 29, 2007.
- Council was briefed by Shirley Svorny on progress on the study on grade inflation at CSUN commissioned by the council. Goal of study is to promote learning and value of degree programs at the university in the light of the provost's Fall 2005 message to faculty concerning academic standards and grading practices. Sub-committee of the council (Peter Nwosu, James Sefton and Shirley Svorny) will present a draft report of the study to council in March.
- Council discussed chairs' roles and rewards and resolved as follows: to await the outcome of the CFA arbitration on the matter; to pursue discussions at the local (CSUN) level regarding these issues; and to draw example from what other campuses have done regarding these issues. A four-person sub-committee (Peter Nwosu, Julio Blanco, Nathan Weinberg, and Richard Castallo) was appointed to pursue these issues and to report back to council. The proposal to work towards the formation of a statewide council of chairs to pursue these issues was postponed sine die.
- Next meeting is February 20, 2006 (Room 3107, Juniper Hall, formerly Business Administration Building. Council meetings are open to the University Community.
Original design by Pralaya Software Solutions. Recoded in accordance with W3C/WAI guidelines by Elizabeth Altman
Please direct questions or comments regarding site content to the chair of the committee.
Last updated: December 10, 2006