Council of Chairs Meeting of October 20, 2003 Minutes
The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m.
Members Present: Janet Adams (HHD), Julio R. Blanco (SC&M), William P. Jennings Jr. (B&E), Rie Rogers Mitchell (EDU), David Moon (AMC), Sid Schwartz (CECS), Gregory Velazco y Trianosky (HUM), and Nathan Weinberg (S&BS).
Members Absent: Doris Helfer (LIB) (excused).
Substitutes for Members: Michael Barrett (LIB).
Guests: Elizabeth Berry (AMC), and Greg Truex (S&BS).
- The minutes of the September 22, 2003 meeting were approved with no corrections.
- Elizabeth Berry reported on her meeting with the CSU Communication Studies Department Chairs. She stated that at San Jose, one of the chairs gets three units of reassigned time as "chair in residence," to help other chairs and prepare a manual for chairs. At one campus, any chair who has served two three-year terms gets an automatic sabbatical at the end of the six years; at another campus, the President gives chairs $8000-12,000 to use to hire Graduate Assistants or others to help with research or other tasks. Several campuses (SJSU and CSULB) have formed Chairs' Compensation Committees.
- The council discussed the importance of having a chair in the GE task force. It was decided to formally request from both EPC and Senate Exec for an ex-officio representation in the task force.
- The council passed a resolution regarding decisions to allocate funds to staff versus faculty positions. The sentiment of the council is that it should be practice to routinely discuss both the needs for faculty and staff among Deans and Chairs.
- The council discussed again the concept of a Learning-Centered University. It was decided to request that an opportunity to discuss the concept with the President and/or her appointees be made available. Several meetings could be arranged at different times and days to permit all the chairs to participate.
- It was discussed the role of Deans in the hiring process. It was mentioned that PP&R will discus a proposal to clarify the procedure outlined in the Hiring Golden Book in a future meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:51 a.m. The next Council of Chairs meeting will be held on Monday, November 17, 2003 at 10:00 a.m. in the Oviatt Library Room 314.
Respectfully submitted: Julio R. Blanco, Chair
Council of Chairs
Original design by Pralaya Software Solutions. Recoded in accordance with W3C/WAI guidelines by Elizabeth Altman
Please direct questions or comments regarding site content to the chair of the committee.
Last updated: December 10, 2006