Council of Chairs Meeting of September 22, 2003 Minutes
The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m.
Members Present: Janet Adams (HHD), Julio R. Blanco (SC&M), Doris Helfer (LIB), William P. Jennings Jr. (B&E), David Moon (AMC), Sid Schwartz (CECS), Gregory Velazco y Trianosky (HUM), and Nathan Weinberg (S&BS).
Members Absent: Rie Rogers Mitchell (EDU) (excused).
Substitutes for Members: Nancy Burstein (EDU).
Guests: Peter Bellin (EOH), Richard Squires (SC&M), and Shirley Svorny (B&E).
Presenters/discussants: Terry Piper (Student Affairs), Tina Purtee (ITR), and Maureen Rubin (Service Learning).
- The minutes of the May 19, 2003 meeting were approved with no corrections.
- The council discussed the President's
convocation. In particular, the impact of becoming a Learning-Center
University and the importance of the GE task force being formed. The
council will invite members of the administration to address the council
for discussions about the Learning-Center concept. It was also decided
to formally ask for a seat in the GE task force. Greg volunteered to
represent the council.
The council took up issues related to College budgets and the way they are administered by the Deans. Differences among the Colleges do exist but it was felt there is a genuine effort to provide transparency about this process.
The issue of compensation for chairs was discussed again. The consensus among the council members is that chairs do require 12-months appointments to take care of department business. An increase in salary is independent from the 12-months appointment.
- Tina Purtee presented an overview of the Students Administration Module in PeopleSoft. In particular issues related to sign-ups for student advising, chairs, faculty and staff were discussed. Also a reminder that this semester each instructor will record grades electronically.
- Maureen Rubin presented a brief overview about Risk-Management in Service-Learning. This is a very important aspect that affects all chairs. It is important that chairs are aware of all the activities conducted by Department staff and take action to ascertain that university practice and policy is followed.
- Terry Piper discussed the Campus Smoking Policy. It was surprising to learn that there is an increase in the number of freshmen that smoke. In general, it was felt that it is OK to provide spaces that are clearly marked as smoking areas.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:59 a.m. The next Council of Chairs meeting will be held on Monday, October 20, 2003 at 10:00 a.m. in the Oviatt Library Room 314.
Respectfully submitted: Julio R. Blanco, Chair
Council of Chairs
Original design by Pralaya Software Solutions. Recoded in accordance with W3C/WAI guidelines by Elizabeth Altman
Please direct questions or comments regarding site content to the chair of the committee.
Last updated: December 10, 2006