Council of Chairs Meeting of May 16, 2005 Minutes
Members Present: Janet Adams (HHD), Magnhild Lien(SC&M), William Jennings (B&E) Nathan Weinberg (S&BS), Sid Schwartz ( CECS), Rie Rodgers Mitchell (EDU), Michael Barrett (Library)
Guests: Harry Hellenbrand, Penelope Jennings, Jerry Leudders, Alyce Akers, Mary Baxton, Eric Forbes, Robert Stark
- Penny Jennings and Jerry Leudders discussed the possibility of a Leadership retreat for Chairs and Deans. They also discussed and sought suggestions for topics for sessions for the August Chairs' Retreat.
- Provost Harry Hellenbrand addressed the current and future budget situation and a variety of issues facing chairs and faculty. Among the topics discussed were personnel procedures, YRO and the chairs work load and compensation.
- Alyce Akers discussed the problems of hiring and retaining faculty and especially the issue of not getting our top choices. The discussion covered a variety of issues including, hiring salaries, recruiting budgets, salary compression, research support and travel, and the need for faculty staff housing.
- Mary Baxton, Eric Forbes and Bob Stark discussed the implementation process and rules surrounding the new GE package.
- Bill Jennings thanks the Chairs for their attendance a various meetings with visiting trustees, including the campus visit on May 4 of Trustee Esparza.
Our next meeting is scheduled for September 19 from 10:00 to 12:00 a.m. in Juniper Hall (previously business building) 3107.
Original design by Pralaya Software Solutions. Recoded in accordance with W3C/WAI guidelines by Elizabeth Altman
Please direct questions or comments regarding site content to the chair of the committee.
Last updated: January 17, 2007