Council of Chairs Meeting of April 16, 2007 Minutes
- Chair Nwosu called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
- The minutes of the March and February 2007 meetings were approved.
- Trustee Monville will visit CSUN on Friday, April 27th. More details will be coming from the President’s office. Chairs will be invited to attend.
- Professor Nagi talked about the “New Student Convocation”
- Planned for freshmen and new transfer students
- Scheduled for 9/6/2007 from 6-9 pm.
- The event will be held on the library lawn and will include a speaker (Robert Kennedy, Jr.), food, music, and big screen projection.
- It is expected that department chairs will attend and wear academic regalia for the convocation.
- There was some discussion about how to bring the students together. It was suggested that one option would be to schedule a 5:30 meeting between students and department chairs to discuss how the semester has gone so far.
- A preliminary study, “Recruitment and Retention of Underrepresented Faculty at California State University, Northridge: 1995-2005,” authored by the Senate Educational Equity Committee (December 2006), was distributed by Nwosu, who serves on the SEEC. A copy is attached to these minutes.
- Council of Chairs 2007-08
- Election of Council of Chairs Officers for 2007-08
- President – Craig Finney, Dept. of Recreation and Tourism Management
- Secretary – Nancy Burstein, Dept. of Special Education
- College representatives for 2007-08 – members of the COC should report back at the next meeting
- Planning Chairs/Dean’s Retreat (Sunday, Aug 12-14)
- V.P. Jennings asked for breakout session suggestions
- Uba – “The Millenial Student: Myth or Reality”
- Finney – “Technology: A&R and ITR Plans for the Future”
- Nwosu – “Diversity in the Post-209 Era: Recruitment, Retention, Curriculum and Planning for the Future”
- Burstein – “Marketing” (discussion of department brochures, newsletters, other PR/fundraising; what is expected of chairs)
- Burstein – “How to Integrate Part-Time Faculty”
- Burstein – Assessment
- Nagi – “Role/Expectations of Chair in Learning-Centered University”
Original design by Pralaya Software Solutions. Recoded in accordance with W3C/WAI guidelines by Elizabeth Altman
Please direct questions or comments regarding site content to the chair of the committee.
Last updated: January 28th, 2008