Council of Chairs Meeting of February 17, 2003 Minutes
The meeting was called to order at 9:37 a.m.
Members Present: Michael Barrett (LIB), Julio Blanco (SC&M), Bonnie Ericson (EDUC), Adam Gifford (BAE), David Moon (AMC), and Janet Adams (HHD).
Members Absent: Sid Schwartz (CECS) (excused), Tom Spencer-Walters (S&BS) (excused), and Gregory Velazco y Trianosky (HUM) (excused).
Guests: Peter Bellin (Chair, Environmental and Occupational Health), Elizabeth Berry (Acting Chair, Communication Studies), Roberta Madison (Interim Chair, Health Science), Michael Reagan (Ref. & Instr., Library & CFA) and Nathan Weinberg (Sociology, S&BS).
Presenters/discussants: Louanne Kennedy (Provost).
- The minutes of the November 18, 2002 meeting were approved with a minor correction.
- Admission Deadlines and its Impact on Small Departments. The written response of Dr. Margaret Fieweger to the request from small departments to have an exception to the admission deadlines was discussed. Dr. Fieweger's response mentions that after one semester/year the student applicants will change their application habits and adjust to comply with the university guidelines. Provost Kennedy further explained that there is no infrastructure to carry out this request at present time.
- Salary of Chairs Resolution. A final resolution requesting a salary increase for chairs was adopted. The resolution will be distributed to all chairs for comments. After a comment period the resolution will be forwarded to the Provost. It was discussed that Program Chairs and/or Coordinators should be included. Also, it was felt that the position of chair should not be just administrative, but rather it is a faculty member that happens to carry out administrative duties while serving as chair.
- Budget Issues. Provost Kennedy discussed the principles adopted by the University Planning and Budget Group (UPBG) to be used as guidelines for the development of the budget for the coming year.
- Maintain open communication with all campus constituents
- Assure the primary focus on the core institutional mission of student instruction and student support
- Maintain the quality of our campus programs and services
- Promote student access and persistence
- Advance the University's Goals and Initiatives: Student Achievement, Campus Environment, Research, Scholarship, and Creative Achievement, Resources/Institutional Effectiveness, Serving the External Community.
- Promote the health and safety of the campus community
- Strive to retain the present complement of tenure/tenure track faculty and permanent staff
- Meet state mandated budget cuts without the use of pro-rata budget reductions
- Reaffirm the continuation of negotiated FTE increases for individual colleges
Other specific details about next year's proposed target were discussed. It was also mentioned that reserves were used to minimize the impact of funding cuts in the current academic year. It will be difficult to predict what the actual effects for next year until the State budget is actually passed around September.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 a.m. The next Council of Chairs meeting will be held on Monday, March 17, 2003 at 9:30 a.m. in the Oviatt Library Room 314.
Respectfully submitted: Julio R. Blanco, Chair
Council of Chairs
Original design by Pralaya Software Solutions. Recoded in accordance with W3C/WAI guidelines by Elizabeth Altman
Please direct questions or comments regarding site content to the chair of the committee.
Last updated: January 17, 2007