Purposes and Functions
Since its founding in 1982, the China Institute has been influential in arranging educational/cultural activities and exchanges between China and the United States. The goal of the Institute is to promote a better understanding of the Chinese culture and to strengthen the friendship between American and Chinese peoples. Specifically, the purposes and functions of the Institute are as follows:
- This Institute shall act to facilitate and coordinate ongoing and potential CSUN activities involving teaching, learning, and research related to Chinese institutions and individuals.
- The Institute shall draw together the expertise of the faculty of the university and other experts in the critical study, research and teaching of Chinese studies.
- The Institute shall promote linkages between Institute activities and those in the CSUN academic program concerned with China.
- The Institute shall seek to assist Chinese students, faculty and others seeking to establish contact with the CSUN academic community.
- The work of the Institute shall include the support and coordination of research and publication; special courses, seminars and lectures; the compilation of data and bibliographies; communication activities concerning Chinese studies; and other such activities as may be appropriate to the purpose of the Institute.
Academic and Educational Programs
- To assist CSUN faculty members to develop curriculum related to China.
- To develop research projects related to China.
- To organize educational tours to China.
- To sponsor and organize lectures, seminars, or workshops related to China.
- To sponsor exhibits and demonstrations of an educational, scientific, or technological nature.
- To assist Chinese education delegations in visits to the United States.
- To organize and sponsor short-term training programs for Chinese professionals.
- To provide assistance to faculty, staff, and graduates of CSU, who are interested in teaching or studying in China.
- To assist and facilitate Chinese scholars and students to visit and/or study at CSUN
- To sponsor exhibits of Chinese art works.
- To organize Chinese music concerts.
- To show Chinese films at CSUN
- Other Cultural Activities
- To act as a clearing house on CSUN campus for information related to China.
- To act as a liaison between the university and local communities.
- To act as a liaison between CSUN and other CSU campuses in matters related to Chinese affairs.
- To provide assistance to individuals or groups in their travel plans to China and in establishing contacts with Chinese governmental agencies, research institutes, and universities.