Applying for a Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma
The application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma initiates the graduation process, participation in Commencement and receipt of a student’s diploma.
Students may apply for graduation once they have completed 90 units (including work in progress). There are three official graduation dates each calendar year—the final day of the Fall semester, the final day of the Spring semester and the final day of Summer term.
Follow these steps:
- Once completing 90 units of coursework, print and complete the Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma form.
- Access My Academic Planner (MAP) through the myNorthridge Portal. Use the MAP to plan remaining coursework in future terms. Print a copy of the completed MAP. View the My Academic Planner guide located on Admissions and Records website.
- Schedule an appointment with a major advisor. Bring the completed MAP and Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma to the advising session to discuss the major curriculum, major Catalog year and anticipated graduation date (three official graduation dates— Fall, Spring or Summer). Students planning to graduate with a second major and/or minor include the additional major and/or minor and the Catalog year on the application. Secure the advisor’s signatures for the major, second major and/or minor on the application.
- Submit the completed Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma, a copy of the MAP, a Department evaluation (for Journalism majors only) and the appropriate fee to the Undergraduate Degree Services Office in Bayramian Hall, Room 150. Important Note: Applying after the filing period deadline may delay receipt of the student’s graduation evaluation and graduating senior status priority registration appointment time. Commencement participation could be affected.
- The Undergraduate Degree Services Office will notify the student via email when the graduation evaluation is complete. A copy of the graduation evaluation will be available online through myNorthridge Portal. The graduation evaluation reflects units applicable toward Degree requirements only. Therefore, the units listed on the graduation evaluation may be lower than the cumulative units reflected on other CSUN documents. Students with any questions about their graduation evaluation should contact their major and/or minor advisor or the Undergraduate Degree Services Office at (818) 677-3781. Note: At least one semester of work must be completed in residence at CSUN before the Undergraduate Degree Services Office can complete a graduation evaluation.
- Students will be invited to the commencement ceremony for the academic year in which they graduate. Students who decide to participate in the annual commencement ceremony should follow the instructions in the Commencement Handbook. Information about the ceremony can be found on the Commencement website. Note: Participation in the ceremony does not mean that a student has officially graduated from CSUN. All degree requirements must be completed before the degree can be awarded.
If students do not complete their final requirements by the end of the term for which they applied to graduate, they will need to change their graduation date to the semester of actual completion and submit a Bachelor’s Degree Date Change Form to the Undergraduate Degree Services Office, Bayramian Hall, Room 150.
- The diploma and letter of congratulations will be mailed to the student three to six weeks after official graduation is posted. There are three official graduation dates each calendar year—the final day of the Fall semester, the final day of the Spring semester and the final day of Summer term. These are the only dates on CSUN diplomas.