Majors & Careers
Choosing A Major
Where are you in your decision-making process?
- I am undecided and want to pick or change my major, but I don't know where to start.
- I need to know what kind of careers are a good fit for this major?
You are more than your major!
- Pursue a major that interests you and one in which you will excel academically.
- Many occupations do not have a strong relationship to a specific college major.
- For the best career preparation, complement your education with career-related work experiences and extracurricular activities.
Types of majors:
- Applied majors prepare you for a specific career by giving you the skills you'll need in a particular line of work.
- Academic majors prepare you for professions in which a wide range of skills and creative talents are valued.
Steps to Choosing a Major
- Learn about yourself. Meet with a Career Counselor to help with this step!
- Identify what is important to you - your values.
- Pay attention to your passions. If you love doing something, figure out how you can use that interest in your career.
- Think about your strengths and the skills you want to use in the future.
- Research majors.
- Take General Education courses in subjects that interest you..
- Spend some time reading the CSUN Catalog for course descriptions that might interest you.
- Talk to other students in those GE's.
- Talk to instructors/faculty and department advisors.
- Attend the ARC/EOP Majors Fair in the Spring.
- Connect majors to careers. Visit the Career Center for resources.
- Research occupations related to the major you are exploring.
- Schedule an Information Interview with a professional working in your field of interest.
- Get to know your Career Center Library. With over 500 books, the Career Center Library has detailed information on a vast number of careers. Visit University Hall 105.
- Get involved.
- Attend the meetings of an academic club related to your major of interest.
- Seek out an opportunity to see what a degree in a particular major can do for you in the workplace -- arrange a tour, a job shadowing experience, or an internship!