How to Set Up
Find a Match
Identify the job title, company, or industry you want to know more about.
Find someone to interview.
- Get a recommendation from the Career Center.
- Search Career Library resources such as company directories, databases, or job/internship listings.
- Talk to your friends and family for contacts. Those initial contacts can lead you to other contacts.
- Find a company of interest.
- Try to find an alumni mentor through CSUN’s Linked-In site (make this a live link).
- Introduce yourself and explain who you are (e.g., a student at California State University Northridge and my major is_________, or a person making a career change).
- Ask if they have a moment to speak with you. (They may be trying to meet a deadline or running to a meeting. Arrange for a better time to call.)
- Let them know that you are researching potential career options and would like to talk with an expert in the field.
Clarify that you are not looking for a job.
- Lock in a date, time, and place for the job shadow. Ask for a few hours or a couple days to spend with your contact, depending on his/her availability.
- Ask for the address and parking information.
Thank the person for being willing to meet with you!