Here are tips for what to do during a job shadow:
Think of specific questions that you want answered. Are they doing that type of work you're interested in? Does the person seem flustered when new assignments suddenly arrive? Does the office seem busy or laid-back? What are the relationships between coworkers? Do coworkers work together or separately on projects?
Learn about your possible future career
- Absorb everything you can about the personís position and job tasks.
- Try to get a feel for the personís personality and work attitude. Is it similar to or different from yours?
- Learn about the personís work schedule. Are there many meetings or are the work-hours spent on individual tasks?
Offer to help
Donít be afraid to offer your help on an assignment! He/she may be willing to let you participate or offer input on a project.
Ask many questions
There are several questions you should ask during a job shadow in order to learn about the professional, job position, and organization. The following are a few important ones:
- What are your job responsibilities?
- Why did you choose this career?
- Can you tell me about your career path?
- What education and experiences will I need to break into this field?
- What is a typical day, week, or month like?
- What interests and skills are needed for successful employment in this field?
- What is a typical entry-level salary?
- What are the emerging jobs in this field?
- What do you see happening in your profession in the next 5 to 10 years?