Before your informational interview, it might be helpful to prepare questions you want to ask the industry professional. Below is a list of several suggestions you can ask:
Specific job features:
- What are the job duties or responsibilities of this occupation?
- What happens in a typical workday or week?
- How independently do you work?
- What are the most satisfying and dissatisfying aspects of your work?
- What kind of hours do you put in? Are they flexible or set hours?
- What is the typical salary range for this occupation?
- What skills are needed to be successful in this position?
Breaking into the career:
- How did you get to this position?
- What is your educational background? What degrees or majors are typically needed to break into this career?
- How can I best prepare to break into this field?
- What kinds of work experience do employers look for in entry-level candidates? (Internships, portfolios, work experience, etc.)
Succeeding and growing in the industry:
- What are the employment prospects in this area?
- What are the opportunities for advancement?
- What does a typical career path look like in your industry?
- What is a typical starting salary?
- What are important characteristics a person needs to succeed in this field?
- What trade publications, magazines, or newspapers do you read to keep updated with developments in your field?
About this particular company:
- Why did you decide to work for this company?
- What do you like most/least about this company?
- What is the management style like here?
- Where do you think this company will be in five years?
Future career paths and changes:
- What are some of the biggest challenges facing your industry today?
- What rising trends do you see in the next three to five years?
- What are some related occupations or industries I might explore?