A research opportunity is exactly what it sounds like. It is your chance to conduct research on a topic of interest with the aid of professionals. It is similar to some fellowships and is another experiential learning opportunity to develop skills in a field of work. Typically for students, it is a chance to work with professionals in a field of interest.
Like a fellowship, a research opportunity can be grant funded and can last anywhere from several weeks to several months.
A research opportunity can include
- Conducting research at a university or with an organization.
- Developing relationships with professors, professionals, and/or mentors.
- Assisting a professional with his/her work.
- Participating in cutting-edge work in a specific field.
- Contributing to a field by providing new research or proposals.
- Attending conferences and giving presentations.
The benefits of a research opportunity include
- Applying knowledge from school to a professional project.
- Working with professionals in your field of interest.
- Networking and making connections with others in your field.
- Building skills for your résumé that will help if you plan to receive your PhD.
- Increasing your opportunity of publishing your work.
- Developing research and writing skills.