How to Decide to Change a Major?
Deciding to change your major may be the best thing for you if you...
- are no longer motivated to attend classes in your current major.
- are struggling to do well in your classes.
- realize that your career goals have changed.
- are not happy or satisfied in your current major.
- have lost interest in your classes and/or your major.
- have been Disqualified by your major department.
If you find yourself needing to change your major, the Career Center is here to help. First come into the Career Center for a walk-in session, where you ask questions and begin to explore different majors.
What happens at Walk-In Career Advisement?
- Meet with a trained Peer Educator
- See the list of CSUN majors
- Get advice to get you started
- Learn about career services
- Explore career library resources
- Make an appointment with a Career Counselor
Next you can make an appointment for a one-on-one conversation with a career counselor, who can assist you in the process of changing your major.
What to expect in a career counseling session?
You and your counselor work together so that you can discover how to -
- Make meaningful decisions
- Discover yourself and your strengths
- Gain a sense of direction or purpose
- Find resources and support
- Learn about academic success
- Stay motivated and confident
- Make plans and establish goals
- Take action and evaluate progress
- This process may consist of several appointments
You will talk a lot about you -
- Whatever questions brought you in
- Declaring or changing your major
- What to do with your major
- Your hopes, dreams, and plans for your future
- What's going on in your life, at school, at work
- Looking for a job or internship
- Wanting to take vocational assessments
- What you say to your counselor is private and confidential
You must make your first appointment with a Career Counselor through Walk-In Career Advisement at the Career Center, University Hall 105. Walk-in advisement is not a guaranteed appointment and is on a first-come first served basis. You may call (818)677-2878 for today's walk-in schedule.