Mission, Vision, and Goals
The David Nazarian College of Business and Economics is a leader in preparing students from diverse backgrounds for career success.
- We focus on providing students with the practical business skills and solid theoretical foundation needed for success in our rapidly changing global business environment. The Nazarian College provides our students the academic knowledge and professional tools, skills, and networks needed to achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Focusing on career success means we establish and maintain a relationship with our students throughout their professional lives. Our connection continues after students graduate from California State University, Northridge, and includes alumni organizations and opportunities for graduate and professional education.
- We recognize and support the diversity of experience and the capabilities our students bring to the Nazarian College. We provide a safe, welcoming and respectful environment that encourages student interaction with each other and with the faculty, staff, and administration of the College, and the business community.
- Being a leader requires innovative, engaged, and committed faculty, staff and administrators. We encourage and support our faculty and staff to shape the practice of business education and push the boundaries of business theory and practice. We build a culture of collegiality, community, and commitment within the Nazarian College that will leverage and develop the full potential of each member of the faculty, staff and administration.
The David Nazarian College of Business and Economics aspires to be recognized as among the best Business programs in the U.S. and as the best in the State of California higher education system for our focus on student career success.
- Student Achievement: Our graduates will be recognized for their ability to apply their knowledge and skills to work situations. They will assume leadership responsibilities in their professions and communities.
- Faculty Scholarship: Our faculty will be recognized for the ability to apply research to real organizational needs, with demonstrable impact on business and economic policy and practice, student engagement, discipline development, resource generation and instructional innovation.
- Community Impact: Our faculty will use their expertise to contribute to organizations inside and outside the University. Organizations will turn to us for help with difficult business problems.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) - Undergraduate
(All programs, except Economics)
- Have strong written and oral communication skills
- Have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, including the application of information technology
- Understand ethics and social responsibility
- Understand the global context of modern business
- Understand the cross-functional nature of business problems
- Understand and can apply key business concepts
- Can work effectively in teams
- Have strong communication skills
- Have strong quantitative skills, including the ability to use and interpret economic statistics
- Be able to express key economic concepts, both intuitively and more formally
- Understand how a decentralized market economy organizes economic activity, as well as the factors that may impede that process
- Understand key macroeconomic variables and how fiscal and monetary policies affect them
- Understand how institutions, government policy, and regulation affect economic growth and the relative wealth of economies
Student Ethical Conduct Pledge
The David Nazarian College of Business and Economics at California State University, Northridge prepares students to be ethical decision makers. The College maintains high standards of ethical conduct that students are expected to maintain throughout their academic and professional careers.