- Understand the legal environment: the distinctions between or among substantive and procedural law; criminal and civil law; statutory, regulatory, constitutional and case law; state and federal law. Understand the role of jurisdiction, the courts and alternative dispute resolution.
- Understand performance, remedies, and promissory estoppel/quasi-contract. Understand the difference between compensatory and punitive damages; understand equitable relief such as specific performance and injunction.
- Understand intentional torts and the difference between intentional tort liability and strict liability, including products liability.
- Understand negligence, including the circumstances under which a duty would be owed in a negligence case.
- Understand negligence, including the distinction between actual and proximate cause.
- Contract law: Understand offer, including the applicability of the UCC
- Contract law: Understand acceptance
- Contract law: Understand consideration
- Contracts: Understand the reality of consent, including misrepresentation, fraud, mistake, duress and undue influence and their effect on the enforceability of a contract
- Contracts: Understand capacity, legality, Statute of Frauds, and the rights of third parties
BLAW Gateway topics
April 3, 2014
Gateway topics, effective Fall, 2015: