Fee Waiver / Reduction Program

California State University, Northridge proudly promotes career and professional development for employees - particularly through the University’s Fee Waiver and Reduction Program. This program allows eligible employee members to “learn while they earn,” and attend classes at CSUN or other CSU campuses for greatly reduced rates. CSUN employees who want to complete a bachelor’s or graduate degree, enhance job skills, or even prepare for a future career, are encouraged to participate in this program.  We would love to have you join the more than 1,400 members of CSUN's "Home Grown" community of current employees who have earned a degree from CalState Northridge!

Eligible staff, faculty, and management state employees may enroll in a maximum of two (2) courses or six (6) units, whichever is greater, each semester. Fees are waived only for classes offered in the Fall Academic Semester, the Spring Academic Semester, and State Supported classes offered during Summer Sessions. All classes must be taken for grades or credit/no credit. Enrollment in the Fee Waiver and Reduction program does not apply to self-supported programs, including enrollment in the Tseng College of Extended Learning. In addition to the employee fee waiver, eligible CSU employees may transfer his or her fee waiver benefit entitlement to a spouse, domestic partner or dependent child.

For more details on the Fee Waiver & Reduction Program, and to determine eligibility, please review the following information.  If you have additional questions, please contact Nikki Valadez, HR Services Administrative Coordinator, at or at (818) 677-2173.

Note: The Fall 2016 Fee Waiver & Reduction Application Submission Timeline is February 22nd through April 22, 2016.

Employee and Dependent Eligibility

Employee Eligibility:

Provisions of the CSU Employee Fee Waiver and Reduction Program are governed by the language in Collective Bargaining Agreements, or for non-represented employees, Executive Order 712.  Provisions may change as a result of collective bargaining negotiations, which may affect your current participation in the program. Please check Collective Bargaining Agreements for provisions concerning the appointment of part-time and permanent employees. CSU fee waiver eligibility criteria for represented and non-represented employee categories are as follow: 

Employee Unit / CategoryEligibility / Criteria

Unit 1 (Physicians)

All unit members.

Units 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 9

(CSUEU; Academic Professionals - AP; and Skilled Trades)

Full-Time employees (i.e., permanent, temporary, and probationary) and part-time permanent employees.

Unit 3 (Faculty)

Tenured* and Probationary faculty unit employees (excluding coaches), and temporary faculty unit employees with three-year appointments pursuant to Article 12 of the CBA.  Coaches must have at least six (6) years of full-time equivalent service in the department.

Unit 8, C99**, E99**, and M98

(Public Safety, Confidential, Excluded, and Executive)

Full-time or part-time permanent** employees, and full-time probationary employees (no temporary appointments).

M80 (MPP / Management)

Full-Time employees (includes temporary employees).  

Employees on authorized leaves of absence who are otherwise eligible and employees of the Chancellor's Office or other CSU campuses who have written authorization from their employer may also participate.

CSU Fee Waiver & Reduction Program eligibility is determined by the campus of employment; however, the campus of enrollment determines fees, deadlines, etc.

*FERP (Faculty Early Retirement Program) employees are considered tenured faculty and are eligible for fee waiver only during the semester in which they are actively employed.

**C99 and E99 employees only attain permanent status in part-time positions as a result of completing a probationary period in a full-time position and, subsequently reducing their time-base.


Dependent Eligibility:

Please note:  Under the Fee Waiver Program, only one set of fees is waived at the campus in which the eligible  dependent  enrolls.  This includes  the  waiver/reimbursement  of  only  one  Application  Fee regardless of the number of applications. 

  1. Eligible employees may transfer their fee waiver benefit to a spouse, dependent child or domestic partner, as noted in the table above. Please note that the following criteria also apply:A dependent child for fee waiver eligibility is defined as: (a) your child or stepchild under age 25* who has never  been  married;  (b)  a  child  living  with you  in  a  parent-child relationship who  is  economically dependent upon you, under age 25* and has never been married; or (c) your child or stepchild age 25* or above who is incapable of self-support due to a disability which existed prior to age 25*.  Note: * Age limit for dependents in units 1 (Physicians) & 8 (Police) is age 23.

  2. Domestic partners are eligible for fee waiver if their partnership is registered with the California Secretary of State. For information on registering a domestic partnership, click on

  3. The spouse, domestic partner or dependent child must be matriculated toward a degree or the attainment of a teaching credential in the CSU and the course(s) enrolled in on a fee waiver basis must be for credit toward completion of that degree or teaching credential.

  4. The dependent fee waiver applies only to certain fees incurred by California residents.  Thus, spouses, domestic partners and dependent children who do not meet established in-state residency requirements will be responsible for paying non-resident tuition charges based upon the total number of units in which they are enrolled.

  5. Fee waiver eligibility may be transferred to only one person at a time, regardless of whether that individual uses the full entitlement of 2 courses or 6 units.  Dependents taking courses in addition to the fee waiver courses shall pay any difference in fees.

  6. If both parents are employees and eligible to transfer their fee waiver benefit to a dependent child, each employee may transfer the benefit.  Therefore, it is possible for one child to receive both benefits and be eligible to enroll in up to 4 courses or 12 units, whichever is greater, on a fee waiver basis.  Alternatively, each employee could transfer his or her benefit to a different child, and each child would be entitled to up to 2 courses or 6 units of fee waiver eligibility.  Dependents taking courses in addition to the fee waiver courses shall pay any difference in fees, per applicable collective bargaining agreement and campus practice.  Please note:  the full Tuition Fee is waived if a dependent takes two courses that exceed 6.0 units.

  7. Normal academic standards must be maintained by the spouse, domestic partner or dependent child in order to continue participating in the fee waiver program.

  8. An employee who wishes to transfer his or her fee waiver benefit to a spouse, domestic partner or dependent child certifies that the individual using the benefit is in fact a spouse, domestic partner or dependent child.


  • Fee Waiver requests must be completed online by the appropriate deadline. The application deadlines for each semester posted on this site are adhered to strictly.

  • Staff members hired after the fee waiver enrollment deadline may have their application processed by contacting the Fee Waiver Coordinator at 818-677-2173 or e-mailing with their request. 

  • Please refer to the following deadlines when planning your enrollment:

  • Note: The Fall 2016 Fee Waiver deadline is from February 22nd through April 22, 2016.



Classes taken through the Fee Waiver Program may be for Career Development, Work Related, or Personal Enrichment. If your course(s) is Work Related, at the time of enrollment complete and submit the Work Related Enrollment Request form to the Fee Waiver Coordinator, at Mail Drop 8229. 

The fee waiver application is on-line and available in your “Human Resources / Employee” self service pagelet accessed through the myNorthridge portal.

Update My Personal Information

  • The link is different for each term and should be accessed and completed each time you wish to use this benefit.

  • Fee Waiver requests must be completed online by the appropriate deadline. 

  • An e-mail indicating receipt of request will be sent immediately when the application is submitted. If you do not receive an e-mail, please follow up with Fee Waiver Coordinator to verify your request was received. 

  • For information on how to register for classes, contact Admissions and Records at x3700. The enrollment form is online at

  • Your enrollment with the university may be cancelled if all applicable fees are not paid by the required deadlines.


Employee & Dependent Program Fees

Please refer to Student Accounting's Website for current Undergraduate and Graduate Program Fees for Employees and Dependents.


Tax Issues

The following tax-free or taxable benefits are available to CSU employees and their eligible spouses, domestic partners, and/or dependent children.   

Please note that it is the level of the course that determines taxability, not the education level of the employee.  

Eligible Participant

Course level(s)

Tax Status

CSU Employee


Non-taxable/Non-taxable up to $5,250 (unless job-related)

Employee’s Spouse/Dependent Child



Employee’s Domestic Partner



Frequently Asked Questions - General Information

  1. How do I know if I am eligible for Fee Waiver?

    Fee waiver eligibility is determined by employment status and bargaining unit. Generally, full-time permanent and part-time employees are eligible.

  2. Is there a deadline for applying for Fee Waiver?

    Yes. Fee Waiver requests must be completed online by the posted deadline.

  3. How will I know if my application was electronically submitted?

    An e-mail indicating receipt of your request will be sent to you immediately after the application is submitted. If you do not receive an e-mail receipt, please follow up with the fee waiver coordinator at 818-677-2173 or via e-mail at to verify that our office received your request. Please Note: If you receive an error message, please save as "draft" and contact the Fee Waiver Coordinator at

  4. How often do I have to apply for the fee waiver program?

    You must submit an application to this program each time either you or your dependent intends to register for classes. The application must be submitted by the posted deadline.

  5. Are University Corporation, University Student Union and Associated Students employees eligible for this program?

    As it is funded by the State, Fee Waiver is a benefit exclusively for state employees.

  6. Is the CSU application fee waived or reimbursed through the fee waiver program?

    The CSU application fee is waived by the Office of Admissions and Records.

  7. What course fees are waived or reduced?

    The particular fees that are waived or reduced are determined by your bargaining unit contract.

  8. When is a new employee from out-of-state eligible for Fee Waiver?

    New employees are eligible for fee waiver upon hire; however, out-of-state fees apply until residency is established.

  9. Can the CSU Fee Waiver and Reduction program be used at any CSU campus?

    Eligible employees and their dependents may use fee waiver at any CSU campus. Each campus has its own application and enrollment schedules. Make sure to contact the fee waiver coordinator at the campus of enrollment to ensure timely application and enrollment.

  10. Are Extended Learning courses covered through this program?

    Fee waiver is a state funded program for those courses that are offered and funded by the state. It excludes extension and extended learning programs.

  11. Can I enroll in more than two classes?

    Yes, as long as your classes do not exceed six units. If you enroll in either two classes or more than six units, you will need to pay any additional fees.

  12. How do I enroll in my classes and view charges on my account?

    Enrollment can be done quickly and easily by accessing your web portal and clicking on the Services for Students link. A list of options will display. Click on the Enroll in a Class link followed by the semester in which you intend to enroll. If you have any questions, contact Admissions and Records at ext.3700. You can view charges on your account after you have successfully enrolled in your classes. To do so, click the Charges and Payments link followed by View Account Information and then the Current Charges Due link to ensure that your fees were waived and reduced accordingly.

  13. If I should separate from CSUN employment prior to the end of the semester, will that affect my fees?

  • If you separate from CSUN before the beginning of the semester, you will no longer be eligible for the benefit.  The Fee Waiver will be removed and your bill will be adjusted accordingly.  You can complete your course(s) by paying the fees due or drop the course(s).
  • If you separate from CSUN employment after the beginning of the semester, you can continue to use your fee waiver to cover that semester.




Frequently Asked Questions - Employees

  1. Do I have to fill out a student admission application in order to take classes using fee waiver?

    You have to apply to the CSU of your choice only if you are taking classes toward a degree program. If you are not working toward a degree, but are taking work-related or personal development classes, the CSU Fee Waiver and Reduction Program application acts as an application to the University.

  2. Must I be enrolled in a degree program to utilize fee waiver?

    The fee waiver program may be used by employees for classes outside of a degree program. If you already have a college degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s), you may want to take a course for your own personal benefit after work hours.

  3. Do my classes have to be work-related?

    If you request time off during the work day to attend classes, your classes should be work-related. Work-related coursework includes degree completion; courses that allow employees to improve their skills, knowledge or performance in their current job; or coursework taken in anticipation of meeting changes in a professional role.

  4. Can I take time off during my work schedule to attend classes?

    The ability to attend during the course of the day is contingent on the operational needs of the department. When permission is granted, it is generally accommodated through an alternate work schedule, as agreed to by the supervisor/manager. The proposed schedule must be approved by your supervisor prior to enrolling in classes. Alternate work schedules may not include taking lunch hours at the beginning or end of a work shift, or working through mandated fifteen-minute breaks during a normal work schedule. In all cases, operational needs of a department outweigh requests for alternate work schedules.

  5. Can I take classes as part of my work schedule using release time?

    Release time is time your supervisor releases you to attend a course during your regular working hours. In some cases, release time for one class per semester may be granted if operational needs of the department are met; in these cases where release time can be accommodated, the employee is enrolled in a degree program and the coursework is related to their position.

  6. What should I do if I want to attain a degree, but I don't know what classes to take?

    See an academic advisor in the college of your choice to obtain degree-related information.

  7. Where do I pay my fees?

    You may pay your fees at University Cash Services or online through the Web Portal. This program does not offer a full waiver of fees so you will need to pay any balance of fees in order to remain enrolled in your classes.

  8. Do I have to obtain a CSUN student I. D. card?

    Your employee I. D. card is all you need. 

Frequently Asked Questions - Dependent Child, Spouse, and Domestic Partner

  1. To whom can I transfer this benefit?

    Employees are allowed to transfer this benefit to their spouse, registered domestic partner, or dependent child.
  2. Can I take one class and my dependent take one class through this program in the same semester? Or, can my two dependent children take classes through this program at the same time

    Only one person can use this benefit per semester. The benefit cannot be shared.  Only one dependent is eligible per semester. You may, however, alternate the benefit between you/your dependents every other semester.
  3. Do I have to report the classes that my dependent is taking each semester?

    No, however your dependent must be enrolled in a degree or credential program and taking courses toward the attainment of that degree or credential in order to be eligible.
  4. What happens if my dependent child turns 23 or 25 (depending on bargaining unit) before the start of the semester?

    Unfortunately, your dependent child would not be eligible for the coming semester/quarter.

  5. What happens if my dependent child turns 23 or 25 (depending on bargaining unit) during the semester?

    Your dependent child is eligible for the program until his/her birthday. If that occurs during the semester, your dependent child is allowed to complete that semester using this benefit but will not be eligible for the following semester.
  6. My dependent child is over the age of 23 or 25 (depending on bargaining unit). Is she/he eligible for fee waiver?

    Only if she/he is incapable of self-support due to a disability which existed prior.

  7. Can my dependent enroll in more than 2 classes?

    Yes, however, this program covers only any combination of 6 units or 2 classes, whichever is greater, per semester. For example 2 four-unit courses are eligible, just as 1 one-unit course, 1 two-unit course, and 1 three-unit course are eligible through this program. There are several other combinations of courses that are eligible through this program. If you or your dependent take more than 2 classes or 6 units you will need to pay all additional fees.
  8. Does my dependent have to pay out-of-state fees?

    Yes, out-of-state fees cannot be waived or reduced through this program if the dependents does not have established CA residency.