Do you love the time you spend in the outdoors? Do you thrill in the challenge of trekking through the mountains or paddling through deserted canyons? Do you like being a leader or do you want to learn how to be one? If so, you may be interested in the CSUN Recreation Outdoor Leadership Program.
We are looking for a few special people who have a desire to learn more about the outdoor recreation experience, and who would enjoy sharing their love of the outdoors with others. If this is you, we invite you to apply for the O.L.P.
What is the Outdoor Leadership Program?
The Outdoor Leadership Program is designed to provide the knowledge and necessary skills for individuals who are interested in working as trip instructors or guides with the CSUN Outdoor Adventures Program. Program participants and guides are exposed to many aspects of outdoor and personal leadership opportunities including:
- Group Management
- Outdoor Living
- Leadership skills and attributes
- Wilderness Medicine
- Trip/Course Planning
- Safety, Injury and Rescue Practices Group Management
- Teaching Philosophy and Techniques
- Wilderness Medicine
- Skill Acquisition in Outdoor Activities: Backpacking, Hiking, Kayaking, Canoeing, Rock Climbing
The goal of the O.L.P. is to develop knowledgeable, highly skilled and trained wilderness guides to work as instructors and guides with the Outdoor Adventures Program. Our overall mission is to provide the CSUN community an avenue to foster an appreciation for the outdoors, while emphasizing safety, environmental awareness, minimum impact, personal exploration, group bonding, experiential education, positive interaction, and good times. Additionally, we are committed to providing quality leadership and teaching development opportunities for students and others within the CSUNCampus Community.
What do I have to do to get selected for the program?
- First off, explore Outdoor Adventures by climbing at the RIDGE Rockwall, going on a Trip or attended one of our classes/clinics. Although not required, it is helpful to understand the philosophy of the program before you have a good understanding of your interest level.
- There is a paper application, group interview process, weekend outing and finally an individual interview. After you may be invited to participate in our “Learn to be a Guide” weekend. Although participating in our trips gives you a familiarity with our program and offers you a different understanding over those applicants that have not participated, the interview weekend and application are necessary to make sure that you and the program will be capable of forming a symbiotic relationship.
- We feel that this “arduous” application process adequately represents the expected level of commitment within the program. We cannot emphasize enough how the return will be more than worth it!
- Group Interview Dates (you must attend one): March 11, 5:30 PM or March 12, 5:30 PM
We would like to thank you for your interest. The program is constantly growing, and each new instructor is a crucial building block. As previously mentioned, we realize a large demand has been placed upon your shoulders, but we are sure you will find it is truly worth the effort.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to call us at (818) 677-4453, or email firstname.lastname@example.org