History of the Association of Retired Faculty, California State University, Northridge

by Helen C. Lodge and Joanna V. Mckenzie

The Beginning: Establishing the Organization

The Association of Retired Faculty of California State University, Northridge (CSUN) had its inception in 1985. The years 1984-1985 marked the retirement of the first sizable number from this university, which began as San Fernando Valley State College, an institution newly separated from Los Angeles State College, itself a newcomer to the educational community in 1947. The first group of newly hired faculty, 119 in all in the fall of 1958, came mainly from a group of young professionals, many of them veterans of World War II. Thus they would likely retire within the same time period. By 1985, more than thirty faculty had retired. In the years after 1985 an increasing number would join the ranks of retirees.

In January 1985, Sidney Albert, Professor Emeritus from California State University, Los Angeles, formerly Los Angeles State College, invited colleagues emeriti from several California State University (CSU) campuses to meet and discuss a possible organization of retired CSU professors. From this meeting California State University Emeritus and Retired Faculty Association, commonly known as ERFA, evolved. Fred McMahon, CSUN (Speech Communication), who attended the meeting, learned that many other California state universities had at this time campus organizations of retired faculty. In March 1985, he invited local campus retired faculty to meet to discuss forming such an organization on the CSUN campus. He offered those who attended a proposed constitution. After discussing the functions of the new organization and the proposed constitution and making some minor revisions in the proposed document, the new group became the Association of Retired Faculty of California State University, Northridge and elected Fred McMahon as its first president. The initial membership consisted of about thirty members. An executive committee consisting of a president and a board came into being, and ARF became a viable organization. Fred McMahon served as president during the spring of 1985 and the academic year 1985-1986.

The constitution set forth five purposes for the new organization: