This is a tutorial for class scheduling staff only. No log in is required.
This guide reviews how CSUN staff granted security access to the Schedule of Classes (SOC) add or remove a class requisite using the Adjust Class Associations component for the following page: Class Requisites.
Two Types of Requisites:
- A Catalog Requisite is a permanent course requirement that SOLAR automatically adds to a course. It requires approval by faculty through a curriculum committee (EPC/GSC). Catalog requisites are stored in a library with enrollment requirement group numbers starting at 10,000 and higher. These requisites are attached to courses by staff who manage the SOLAR catalog. Contact the appropriate catalog office for questions.
- A Class Association Requisite is a temporary section requirement that the department can manually add or remove from an individual class section during schedule building. Class Association Requisites are stored in a library with requirement group numbers ranging from 1 to 9999.
If the requirement does not exist in the SOLAR library, send an email request describing the requisite in detail (e.g., a plan number, multiple plans and/or student levels for combinations) to your SOLAR coordinator. Always check the catalog to prevent a requisite duplication. Your SOLAR coordinator will send the request to A&R for authorization and processing in SOLAR.
- To view a list of SOLAR academic plans, run the NRSR0102 - Majors Report. A plan is associated with an academic program indicated by a letter (B=BA, M=Masters, T=2nd BA, R=Minor, V=UTran and S=second BA minor) that appears at the end of a plan number.
- Because CSUN rolls requirements to a new term, always proof class requirements during schedule build using NRSR0024-SOC Report 1 option 6 or open view the course in the Adjust Class Associations component.
- Only one requirement group can be attached to a class section. Requisites can be bundled into a single requirement group to include a combination of corequisites and prerequisites conditions such as academic plan and/or student level.
- The Adjust Class Associations component does not display the five-digit Class Nbr nor the two-digit section number. Before you begin, write down the Associated Class Number from the Basic Data page because you'll need it later on.
- Log into myNorthridge Portal at www.csun.edu.
- Under the Staff Tab, click SOLAR SA on the menu.
- Click Adjust Class Associations on the right.
Always add a Free Format Text Note whenever attaching a Class Association Requisite so that Class Search displays section requirements to students, faculty and staff.
- On the Find an Existing Value page, enter the Term and Subject Area and click Search.
- Select the course from the Search Results.
Learn more at:
The Adjust Class Associations component displays with the Class Requisites page selected.
Two segments display:
- Catalog Requisite - This view-only section automatically display requirements for a course in the catalog.
- Class Association Requisite - Departments can add or remove requirement group numbers in this section.
Only one requirement can be attached to a class section.
To add or replace a requirement, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the desired section using the class number you wrote down earlier.
- If you know the Requirement Group number enter it and press the tab key.
Skip to Step 5.
- To look up a list of predefined requirements, click the magnifying glass icon.
Go to Step 4.
The Look Up Requirement Group page displays.
- Enter a subject.
Enter part of a plan number in the Description field.
- Click the Look Up button and select an option from a list of predefined requirements.
If the requirement is not found, contact your SOLAR Coordinator to request that one be created.
The selected requirement displays.
SOLAR will always enforce both the catalog and section requirements.
Never uncheck the Also Use Catalog Requisite box. Doing so will interfere with requirement controls in SOLAR.
- Click Save.
- Navigate to other sections or click Return to Search to exit.
Optional: Click the "Detail" link to view the actual requisite summary.
During registration catalog and section requisites display under the Enrollment Information heading.
- The first bullet shows the Class Association Requisite.
- The second bullet shows the Catalog Requisite.
- Additional bullets show the course levels such as upper division, etc.
Class notes (text and numbered) also display at the bottom of the registration enrollment preferences page.