This is a tutorial for class scheduling staff only. No log in is required.
This guide reviews how CSUN staff granted security access to the Schedule of Classes (SOC) schedules hybrid (share-the-space) classes. CSUN currently offers four (4) course types, one of which is taught half online and half on campus. View course type definitions (PDF).
This guide discusses the Hybrid (OH) course type:
Hybrid (OH) is a course offering in which students attend class sessions on campus and in an online environment. The class typically meets approximately half online and half on campus. Whenever possible, two hybrid classes will share one room on the day the other class is taught online. Thus the name share-the-space classes because it optimizes the use of one facility for two classes efficiently.
Final Examinations: Hybrid classes have a final exam on the day and time that they occupy the room. The Exam Scheduler will assign an exam based on the information entered ONLY on the first meeting pattern row.
You'll use the Maintain Schedule of Classes component when scheduling online classes for the following pages: Basic Data, Meetings, Enrollment Control and Notes.
- Log into myNorthridge Portal at www.csun.edu.
- Under the Staff Tab, click SOLAR SA on the menu.
- Click Maintain Schedule of Classes on the right.
- On the Find an Existing Value page, enter the Term and Subject Area.
- Click Search.
- Select the course from the Search Results.
If a "No Matching" message displays, use Schedule New Course to establish the course in the Schedule of Classes.
The Basic Data page displays.
Click the plus (+) sign to add a new section or navigate to an existing section.
- Enter the two-digit Class Section number.
- Enter the matching Associated Class number (no leading zero).
- Verify that "P" (system default) is the Instruction Mode.
- Click the plus (+) sign to create a new attribute row.
- Enter OLNE in the Course Attribute field.
- Enter OH in the Course Attribute Value field.
Learn more. Click the field name to view its definition:
Go to the Meetings page. You'll create two (2) meeting patterns. Schedule the on campus meeting first (needed for exams) and the online portion second.
#1 On campus meeting pattern:
- Enter a Facility ID.
- Enter the day and time in the Pat field.
- Enter meeting start/end times. Adjust the times to ensure the on campus meeting length matches the day(s) pattern.
- Enter the instructor's ID number.
- Enter the Instructor's Role.
- Check the Print box to publish the instructor's name on Class Search.
- Enter the instructor's grading method in the Access field.
- Enter the Empl Rcd#.
- Verify the workload to be 100%.
- Click the plus (+) sign to create a second meeting pattern row.
#2 Online meeting pattern:
- Enter ONLINE in the Facility ID.
- Enter ARR.
- Enter instructor's ID.
- Set the Assign Type to "Not Include."
Step 7 - INFO ONLY
Hybrid classes have a final exam on the day and time they occupy a room, unless the catalog designation for the course is No.
Prerequisite! The Exam Scheduler will automatically assign an exam based on the FIRST meeting pattern row.