This is a tutorial for class scheduling staff only. No log in is required.
This guide reviews how CSUN staff granted security access to the Schedule of Classes (SOC) combine two or more class sections whereby students participate in a single class environment with one professor, one location and one meeting pattern.
In this two-step process, you'll first create a title and group ID using the Combined Sections Table. Secondly, you'll specify the criteria using Identify Combined Sections. Once the record is saved, the classes will be linked using the group ID and the meeting pattern established in one class will be automatically copied to all other classes in the group.
Before you combine sections be sure that a facility, meeting pattern and instructor exist for only one of the classes you are combining.
- Once classes are combined, adjust meeting patterns using the Schedule Class Meetings component.
- Cannot combine a lecture and lab that are corequisites of each other because students cannot take two different courses at the same time.
- Classes with multiple meeting patterns should not be combined such as hybrid classes.
- Once a class is assigned an exam, it cannot be combined. Try this workaround: Jot down the exam information > Delete the exam row and save > Combine the classes > Add the exam information to one class and all other classes in the group will get the exam automatically.
- Students will be unable to enroll in a combined section class if the enrollment capacity is blank or less than the number of allowable seats for the sum total of the individual class sections.
- Students will be unable to wait list for a combined section class if the wait list capacity is blank or less than the number of allowable seats for the sum total of the individual class sections.
Always uncombine classes that will be changed or canceled. This will prevent orphan data (facility and event) from occurring. Write the meeting pattern down because SOLAR will delete the pattern from all classes in the group once it is uncombined.
Canceling "No Enrollment" Classes:
If one class in a combined group does not have enrollment, you'll be asked to cancel it. When a class is canceled, all meeting patterns in a combined group are dropped and you'll have to manually add it back in. To avoid this and remove the class from the Low Enrollment report, do not cancel the section. Instead:
- Change the Enrollment Capacity to zero.
- Change the Class Status to tentative.
- Log into myNorthridge Portal at www.csun.edu.
- Under the Staff Tab, click SOLAR SA on the menu.
- Click Combined Sections Table on the right to define a title and group ID.
If you have already established a title, select Identify Combined Sections and skip to Step 4.
- On the Find an Existing Value page, enter the Academic Institution (default), Term, Session
- Click Search.
The Combined Sections Table displays.
- Click the plus sign (+) to add a new row.
- Enter a long & short description.
- Click Save. A View Combined Sections link displays.
- Click the link to go to the Identify Combined Sections page to specify the criteria.
Enter a description that holds meaning for both you and other users.
The Identify Combined Sections page displays. Use it to specify the combined criteria.
- Permanent Combination
- Skip to Mtg Pattern and Instr Edit
- Combination Type
- Requested Room Capacity
- Enrollment Capacity
- Wait List Capacity
- Class Number
- View Combined Sections Table
Click the Save button to save your entries.
Once classes are combined, adjust meeting patterns using the Schedule Class Meetings component (unless you selected to disable it).
Verify the meeting pattern and instructor for all classes in the group.
A Combined Section link is added to the Meetings page so users know the section is combined. Changes made to one pattern will automatically be made to all other classes in the group.