This is a tutorial for class scheduling staff only. No log in is required.
This guide reviews how CSUN staff granted security access to the Schedule of Classes (SOC) adds an online course to their department class schedule in SOLAR. CSUN currently offers four (4) course types, three of which are partly or fully online. View course type definitions (PDF).
This guide discusses the Campus Online (OC) course type:
Campus Online (OC) is an online course in which MOST class sessions are presented in an ONLINE environment. Any face-to-face meetings are usually for activities such as orientation, special in-class presentations, other in-class proofs of competency, or exams.
When scheduling OC classes, every attempt must be made to record complete class information and on-campus meeting requirements. It is imperative to specify each face-to-face campus meeting with the instructor; otherwise, students won't know if a time conflict exists with their schedule. When campus meetings are unknown, always add class note 9996 shown in Step 6.
You'll use the Maintain Schedule of Classes component when scheduling online classes for the following pages: Basic Data, Meetings, Enrollment Control and Notes.
- Log into myNorthridge Portal at www.csun.edu.
- Under the Staff Tab, click SOLAR SA on the menu.
- Click Maintain Schedule of Classes on the right.
- On the Find an Existing Value page, enter the Term and Subject Area.
- Click Search.
- Select the course from the Search Results.
If a "No Matching" message displays, use Schedule New Course to establish the course in the Schedule of Classes.
The Basic Data page displays.
Navigate to an existing section or click the plus (+) sign to add a new section.
- Enter the two-digit Class Section number.
- Enter the matching Associated Class number (no leading zero).
- Enter the Instruction Mode.
Choose "A" or "S".
- Click the plus (+) sign to create a new attribute row if one doesn't already exist.
- Enter OLNE in the Course Attribute field.
- Enter OC in the Course Attribute Value field.
Click a link below to view its definition:
Go to the Meetings page to enter a meeting and instructor assignment for the fields listed below:
- Enter ONLINE in the Facility ID.
- Enter ARR (arranged) or day(s) in the Pat field.
- Leave Mtg Start/End times blank if class is arranged. Otherwise, enter Mtg Start/End times.
- Create another meeting pattern row for each on-campus event.
- Enter the instructor's ID.
- Select Primary Instructor as the the instructor's role type.
- Check the Print box to publish the instructor's name on Class Search.
- Enter Approve as the instructor's grading method in the Access field.
- Verify the Empl Rcd# and enter the number if blank (use lookup).
- Online Meeting Pattern: Verify that the Assign Type is IFF and that the Load Factor is 100%.
- On-campus Meeting Pattern(s): Do not add instructor to any secondary patterns.
Go to the Notes page to add the required ONLINE note.
- Enter 9998 in the Note Nbr field.
- Add a second note when on-campus meetings are unknown. Click the plus (+) sign to add a second note row and enter 9996 in the Note Nbr field - "This online class requires on-campus meeting(s). Contact instructor for details."
IMPORTANT! Every attempt must be made to record on-campus meetings; otherwise, students won't know if a time conflict exists with their class schedule. Also, the room will be reserved in SOLAR for the one-time event.
SOLAR will not schedule an exam for online class sections. Departments can manually add exams to the class regardless of its catalog designation.