The California State University (CSU) system recently enacted a policy known as "Early Start," requiring incoming first-time freshmen who do not demonstrate readiness for college-level math and/or English to begin remediation during the summer before enrolling in the CSU. The goal of Early Start is to better prepare students in math and English before their first semester, thereby improving their chances of completing a college degree.
Unless exempt, you must attend the CSU Early Start Program in summer 2013 in order to enroll in fall 2013 classes at your destination campus (i.e., the campus you will attend in fall 2013). For more information about the CSU system-wide program, see www.csusuccess.org/earlystart
Your test scores on the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or the Entry Level Mathematics Test (ELM) will determine whether or not you need to participate in the CSU Early Start Program:
- English: You must participate in Early Start if your EPT score is less than 138.
- Math: You must participate in Early Start if your ELM score is less than 50.
Students needing remediation will be required to address English or math or both subject areas by enrolling in the Early Start Program (see exemptions below).
If you have been admitted to Cal State Northridge (CSUN), you can view your EPT/ELM test scores by logging into myNorthridge Portal and viewing My Checklist.
To find out if you need to take CSU Early Start, log into the CSU Smart Page as explained at How to Enroll in Early Start. The CSU Smart Page will be available starting April 9, 2013.
The following students will not be required to participate in the Northridge Early Start Program:
- Students who are exempt from the EPT/ELM tests
—See EPT exemptions
—See ELM exemptions
- Students deemed conditionally exempt in math based on their Early Assessment Program (EAP) are not required to take Early Start Math
- Students who are participating in the EAP English Conditionally Exempt/Expository Reading and Writing Course (ERWC) pilot are not required to take Early Start Writing
- International students
- Residents of other states
- Students participating in the CSUN EOP Summer Bridge program
- Students who qualify for admission through the CSUN EOP Program
- Students enrolled in CSUN's Statway program (Math only)
- Students enrolled in CSUN's MARC/MBRS Math and Language Arts Summer Enrichment Program
- Any student who completes English 113A in Summer 2013
- Any student who does CSUN’s Strong Start Freshman Connection Program
- Students admitted to CSUN after August 1, 2013
Students who believe they should be exempted from the Early Start requirement on the basis of a disability need to contact Cal State Northridge Disabilities Resources and Educational Services (DRES) or the National Center on Deafness (NCOD).
Early Start courses offered at any of the CSU campuses will have the same fee rate. The current fee estimate is $182 per unit and is subject to change based on approved fee increases. An additional campus fee of $2.00 may be required at CSUN. Campus parking and course books may also be required for purchase.
Early Start fee waivers will be available for those demonstrating need. California residents who apply for financial aid by March 2, 2013 and have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $5,000 or less may be eligible for a fee waiver for any course meeting Early Start Program requirements.
|2013-2014 Federal and California Financial Aid application period begins||January 1, 2013|
|Priority consideration given to those who file FAFSA by||March 2, 2013|
|Document deadline for on-time Fall 2013 financial aid||June 3, 2013|
If at all possible, you are strongly encouraged to complete the Early Start Program with the CSU campus you'll attend in fall 2013. By taking Early Start classes at your destination campus, you'll meet professors and other students, connect to the campus community, and transition smoothly to your fall term English and math instruction.
- CSUN’s Early Start program consists of writing and math online and face-to-face course options. All writing courses offer a one-unit, 3-week intensive learning experience. Math options include either a one-unit course lasting 9, 6 or 3 weeks, or a three-unit course lasting 6 weeks. The earliest writing and math courses begin June 3, and the last courses end August 2, 2013.
Look up CSU Early Start courses and dates
- Students may also participate in the Early Start program offered at any other CSU campus. This may be appropriate for non-local students. Some CSU campuses are planning to offer online course options as well.
To enroll in the CSU Early Start Program:
- Take the EPT/ELM tests no later than the May 4, 2013 test date. Because demand is heavy and seating is limited, we recommend signing up for an earlier test date. Please see:
—EPT/ELM test dates
- Go to the CSU Smart Page link, located in the student Web Portal of the CSU campus to which you've been admitted. CSUN students should log into myNorthridge at www.csun.edu, locate My Checklist and select the CSU Smart Page link.
- Review your CSU Smart Page to:
—Find out if you need to participate in Early Start
—Find out if you qualify for an Early Start fee waiver based on your FAFSA information
—Indicate the location where you will take Early Start English and/or math classes. You are strongly encouraged to take Early Start classes with the CSU campus you will attend in Fall 2013.
Note: CSUN students must declare their plans to fulfill the Early Start English and/or math remediation requirements using the CSU Smart Page no later than July 15, 2013.
- Once you've completed the CSU Smart Page, you will receive Early Start course enrollment information from the CSU campus you selected. Be sure to complete the CSU Smart Page before enrolling in Early Start classes.
For help, see the How To Guide Enroll in "Early Start" at Cal State Northridge.
The chart below lists important dates for the CSU Early Start Program at Cal State Northridge (CSUN) in Summer 2013 and for enrollment in the Fall 2013 semester.
|Summer and Fall 2013|
|Earliest possible date to register in Fall 2013 classes with your advisor.*||April 9, 2013|
|Earliest possible date to log into the CSU Smart Page||April 9|
|Last day to file Intent to Register for Fall 2013||May 1|
|Last day to take EPT/ELM tests **||May 4|
|Earliest possible date to enroll in CSUN Early Start courses||May 13|
|First CSUN Early Start Math and English courses begin||June 3|
|EPT/ELM scores received by CSUN||June 24|
|Deadline to complete the CSU Smart Page||July 15|
|Deadline to complete CSUN Early Start courses||August 2|
|Send final official high school transcript to CSUN for receipt by||August 16|
*Make an appointment with an academic advisor in the College of your major or ARC/EOP if undecided. See Academic Advisement.
**Because of heavy demand and limited seating, you should sign up for the EPT/ELM tests much earlier than the May deadline. View earlier test dates.