"When fully developed, bureaucracy stands . . . under the principle of sine ira ac studio (without scorn and bias). Its specific nature which is welcomed by capitalism develops the more perfectly the more bureaucracy is 'dehumanized,' the more completely it succeeds in eliminating from official business love, hatred, and all purely personal, irrational and emotional elements which escape calculation. This is the specific nature of bureaucracy and it is appraised as its special virtue."
– Max Weber
AKD Sponsored Events:
~ CSUN's AKD Kappa Chapter is on Facebook- Meet other AKD members, stay informed, and stay connected.
~ AKD Volunteer Day at MEND Poverty- Volunteer Day at MEND Poverty 10641 N. San Fernando Rd. Pacoima, Ca. 91331 on Saturday March 14, 2015 from 9am to 12pm. Help sort and package food and clothing for those in need. Please RSVP by March 3rd to email@example.com (flier).
~ Internship Opportunity with California JusticeCorps Information Session
Interested in law, social justice, and community empowerment?
The California JusticeCorps program is an innovative approach to providing equal access to justice. JusticeCorps recruits and trains university students annually to serve in legal self-help centers while providing in-depth and individualized legal services to self represented litigants under the supervision of an attorney. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
~ CALDAR Summer Institute - Early Bird Discount EXTENDED - The early-bird discount for the Summer Institute registration has been extended to April 17th! http://www.uclaisap.org/cyberpay/caldar/asp/register.asp
~ Latina/Latino Perspective Panel! This event is on March 25th, from 6:30-8pm at the USU Grand Salon. Join us to hear CSUN alumni share about their unique experiences in the workplace, how to navigate the job market in today’s world, and the latest career trends in their fields. Please RSVP @ www.csunalumni.com/perspective or call our office at (818) 677-2000, should you have any questions.
~ The Pacific Sociological Association Conference – People, Place and Power
- What: The annual PSA conference is for students and faculty alike to present original research, network and get to know other sociologists.
- Where: Hayatt Regency in Long Beach
- When: April 1-4, 2015
- Cost: $30 for students to become a PSA member and $25 to attend the entire conference
- Info: http://pacificsoc.org/
~ L.B. Zine Fest 2015
- What: The 1st Annual Long Beach Zine Fest will be held on April 12, 2015 at the Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach, CA. The fest will feature a diverse range of zine vendors, live music, and zine panels and workshops!
- Where: Museum of Latin America Art at 628 Alamitos Avenue Long Beach, CA 90802
- When: April 12, 2015
- Cost: Likely free but TBD
- Info: http://lbzinefest.com/lbzf-first-featured-event-announcements/
~ World War I: War of Images, Images of War
- What: “The exhibition juxtaposes the representation of the war in visual propaganda with its depiction by artists who experienced the brutality firsthand. Drawing principally from the Getty Research Institute's special collections, the exhibition features a range of satirical journals, prints, posters, and photographs as well as accounts from the front, including a war diary, correspondence, and "trench art" made by soldiers. Through such archival and graphic material, World War I: War of Images, Images of War captures the trauma of this first modern war.”
- Where: Getty Research Institutes I and II, 1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049
- When: Through April 19th, 2015 (Regular museum hours)
- Cost: Museum admission
- Info: www.getty.edu/museum/exhibitions/
~ Walk Now for Autism Speaks Los Angeles
- What: Walk Now for Autism Speaks is an inspirational and impactful opportunity to raise money and awareness to help change the future for all those who struggle with autism. Participating in Walk Now for Autism Speaks empowers you to make a difference and provides you with an opportunity to honor someone with autism. Everyone is touched by autism in a different way.
- Where: The Rose Bowl
- When: Saturday, April 18th
- Cost: Free
- Info: http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1124950
~ Armenian Genocide Centennial #MarchForJustice
- What: The 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide signifies a global demand for justice by Armenians worldwide and all people of good will. The March for Justice on April 24, 2015 is the largest in the series of AGCC-WUSA hosted events. Participants will gather at 10AM in Little Armenia and will march in solidarity for 6 miles to the Turkish Consulate in the Wilshire District to protest the Turkish government’s continued denial of the Armenian Genocide. This Pan-Armenian March will unite, without exception, the Armenian community in its quest for justice while demonstrating collective strength and spirit. Protesters will thank those who have helped to spread awareness of the Armenian Genocide, and those who work tirelessly to prevent genocide elsewhere in the world.
- Where: Hollywood, CA
- When: April 24, 2015
- Cost: Free
- Info http://www.agccwusa.org/
~ Wings for Life World Run
- What: 35 locations around the world, running at the exact same time, in support of Wings for Life Spinal Cord Research Foundation. Runners compete until passed by Catcher Car. Set your own pace and distance.
- Where: Santa Clarita
- When: May 3rd, 2015, 4:00 am PST (11:00 am UTC)
- Cost $50 entrance fee (100% goes to Spinal Cord Research Foundation)
- Info: www.wingsforlife.com
Events To Expect Throughout The Year (Date and Time TBA):
~ AKD Board Member Elections (Fall)
~ Graduate School Seminar (Fall)
~ Volunteer Day During Winter Holidays (Fall)
~ Fundraisers (One in the Fall and another in the Spring)
~ What you can do with a B.A. in Sociology Seminar/ Resume Workshop (Spring)
~ Research Paper Competition (Spring)
~ Initiation Ceremony (Spring)
~ Donations are always welcome. To make a donation to AKD please contact Dr. Lauren Mcdonald: email@example.com