Please note that .pdf, .doc, .docx., .xls, and .xlsx documents on this site can be viewed online using free software: Adobe Acrobat Reader (for .pdf files); Excel Viewer (for .xls and .xlsx files); and Microsoft Word Viewer (for .doc and .docx files).
CSU Northridge documents
- CSUN's Service Plan showing how the campus will serve MES students not planning to attend CSUN (May 2, 2011) (.pdf, 83KB)
- CSUN's Mandatory Early Start Plan dated Nov. 19, 2010 (.pdf, 148KB)
- CSUN's draft Mandatory Early Start Plan dated Nov. 15, 2010 (.pdf, 148KB)
- CSUN's draft Mandatory Early Start Plan dated Nov. 13, 2010 (.pdf, 209KB)
- Overview (.pdf, 87KB) and Events Calendar (.pdf, 62KB), of CSUN's EO 1048 Plan for CSUN Campus Update (11-15-2010)
- Overview (.pdf, 19KB) and Events Calendar (.pdf, 12KB) of CSUN's EO 1048 Plan for CSUN's Educational Policies Committee (11-10-2010)
- CSUN draft Mandatory Early Start Plan dated Nov. 9, 2010 (.pdf, 140KB) and Errata (.txt)
- CSUN draft Mandatory Early Start Plan dated Nov. 7, 2010 (.pdf, 525KB)
- CSUN draft Mandatory Early Start Plan dated Oct. 25, 2010 (.pdf, 704KB). As before, this "draft" is not yet complete and is still undergoing revision and discussion.
- Overview of the CSUN Draft Plan for CSU English Council, Oct. 22, 2010 (.pdf, 19KB)
- Overview of the CSUN Draft Plan for Faculty Senate meeting, Oct. 21, 2010 (.pdf, 79KB). Does not incorporate changes since Oct. 18.
- CSUN draft Mandatory Early Start Plan dated Oct. 4, 2010 (.pdf, 149KB). "Draft" indicates that this plan is not yet complete and is still undergoing revision and discussion.
Chancellor's Office documents and information
- Executive Order No. 1048 (June 2010)
- Early Start Policy Clarification and Guidance (.pdf, 230KB) (29 Sep 2010)
- Clarification of Early Start Guidelines (.pdf, 34KB) (7 Oct 2010)
- Chancellor's Office Summary of the Various Campus Early Start Plans (18 Mar 2011)
- Early Assessment Program: "The goal of the EAP program is to have California high school graduates enter the CSU fully prepared to begin college-level study."
- EAP website allowing high school juniors to sign up for notification when their EAP results are ready.
- EAP website allowing high school seniors to check their EAP results
- English Success Website: "The CSU Office of the Chancellor has developed the English Success Website (ESW) to help students, parents, teachers, and counselors learn about the CSU English Placement Test (EPT) requirement and how to meet it."
- Math Success Website: "The CSU Office of the Chancellor has developed this website to help students, parents, high school teachers, and high school counselors learn about the CSU Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) requirement and how to meet it."
- Proficiency at Northridge: Fall 2009 Regularly Admitted First-time Freshmen
CSU Northridge information
- Entry-level student proficiency in math and English, 1993-2009 (.xlsx file, 12KB)
- Entry-level student proficiency in math and writing, 1998-2009: CSU vs. CSUN (.xls file, 63KB)
- "The Importance of Getting an Early Start:
The Experience of the Fall 2008 First Time Freshmen Participating in Cal State
Northridge’s Newest Effort to Promote Proficiency at Entry." April 2009 report (.pdf file, 408KB) by Bettina J. Huber, Institutional Research, CSUN.
- Developmental Mathematics
- Developmental Math: CHAMPS
- Developmental Math: Summer Options at CSUN
- Developmental Writing (no website; some information at Developmental English; see also Stretch Composition)
- Early Start at CSUN: classes for incoming freshmen in summer session 3 program
- EOP (Educational Opportunity Program)
- Financial Aid
- Freshman Common Reading
- SOARS (Student Outreach and Recruitment Services)
- Stretch Composition
- WRAD (Writing and Reading across Disciplines)
- Writing Project at Cal State Northridge: "...offering high-quality professional development programs for educators in their service areas, at all grade levels, K–16 and across the curriculum"
Other sites of interest
- CSU English Council Position Statement: Mandatory Early Start (April 2010)
- CSU Mathematics Council (mentioned in EO 1048 but seems not to have a website)
- "Who’s to blame for unprepared Cal State freshmen…and what’s the best way to get them up to speed?" Patt Morrison on KPCC, 23 March 2010. Guests: Allison Jones, Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Academic Support at California State University, and Kimberly King, assistant professor of clinical psychology at Cal State Los Angeles & a teacher in the Cal State L.A. Summer Bridge Program; vice president of the CSULA chapter of the California Faculty Association
Food for thought
Get out of the remedial education business
- "American higher education cannot afford to be in the remedial education business." Vartan Gregorian, "Six Challenges to the American University." Declining by Degrees: Higher Education at Risk. Ed. Richard H. Hersh and John Merrow. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005. 77-96.
These are our students and we must not shut our doors
- A lesson from history: "In January of 1996, the California State University (CSU) Board of Trustees introduced a plan to reduce the need for remediation in English and mathematics to not more than ten percent of regularly admitted new freshmen by 2007."
(--Collaborative Academic Preparation Initiative:
California Professional Development Institute In Reading)