The CSUN Veterans Affairs Office works with the Veterans Administration to assist military dependents eligible to participate in the VA Educational Benefits Program. Below you'll find State of California and federal educational benefits information for veteran's dependent students new to CSUN.
College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veterans' Dependents
California veterans and their dependents should contact the County Department of Veterans Affairs closest to their location for information regarding application procedures or other related services. Basic eligibility is attained if the veteran died from a service-connected disability or has a service-connected disability rated by the Veterans Administration at zero (0) percent or higher. Other specific criteria must be met prior to being deemed eligible, such as the student being a California resident. You may also contact the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office for information and guidance pertaining to California Veterans Fee Waiver benefits.
Students whose parents are rated less than 100 percent by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or who are also receiving Chapter 35 educational benefits, must turn in their previous year's tax return or a letter from the Internal Revenue Service stating they were not required to file federal income taxes.
- Application for California Veterans Dependents College Fee Waiver - Cal Vet Waiver DVS 40 (.pdf)
- Read more about the California Veteran Dependents College Fee Waiver
- California Department of Veterans Affairs - Cal Vet Veteran Services
Documents Required for GI Bill® Certification
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.
To be certified for GI Bill® benefits at California State University, Northridge (CSUN), all veterans' dependents who are new to CSUN must provide the following documents to the Veterans Affairs Office, Bayramian Hall, Room 150, or online.
- Certificate of Eligibility - For new benefits/first-time use of benefits. When you know which benefit you want to use, complete the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP). As soon as you receive your “Certificate of Eligibility” from the VA, file a copy with the School Certifying Official in the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office or upload it online.*
- CSUN Request for Veterans Benefits (.pdf) - Complete this paper form with your original signature after registering for classes EVERY TERM—winter, spring, summer and fall. This form is not required if you request benefits through the online process in myNorthridge Portal (preferred).*
*New! Learn more about requesting VA educational benefits certification online and uploading documents through the "For Veterans" box in myNorthridge Portal.
To avoid delays in receiving benefits, follow up on these additional requirements:
- Second Bachelor's Students - Provide us with a copy of the "Academic Plan" you developed with your major department advisor. For assistance, contact your advisor.
- All Students - Immediately report any changes in your class schedule or academic plan to the School Certifying Official in the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office. YOU MUST NOTIFY US OF ANY CHANGES TO YOUR CLASS SCHEDULE OR ACADEMIC PLAN TO AVOID DELAY IN BENEFITS.
Other Forms You May Need
VA Form 22-5495 - Dependents Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (.pdf): Use this application for change of institution/when transferring to CSUN from another school. If possible, please upload the completed form online through the "For Veterans" box in myNorthridge Portal.
VA Chapter Definitions
All veterans are classified into different categories (chapters) that define the class of benefits available and identify eligibility requirements. Select the chapter of interest below to review benefit descriptions and requirements.