The California State University (CSU) system recently enacted a policy known as "Early Start," requiring incoming first-time freshmen who do not demonstrate readiness for college-level math and/or writing to begin remediation during the summer before their first fall term of CSU enrollment. The goals of Early Start are to better prepare students in math and writing before their first semester and thereby improve their chances of completing a college degree.
CSU Early Start Basics
- All first-time freshmen who have not demonstrated college readiness in mathematics and/or writing are required to participate in the CSU Early Start Program.
- Your scores on the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or the Entry Level Mathematics Test (ELM) will determine whether or not your Early Start participation is required.
- You are strongly encouraged to complete the Early Start Program with the CSU campus you'll attend in the fall. You'll not only connect to the community but also have a smoother transition to fall math and writing instruction.
- You'll need to find out if you are required to take Early Start classes by logging into the CSU Smart Page through the Web Portal of the CSU campus that admitted you. Even if you are exempt from taking EPT/ELM, you should still confirm your status.
- Find CSUN dates, instructions and exemptions at Early Start at Cal State Northridge.
- Get the CSU system-wide perspective at CSU Success.