An international second bachelor’s student is one who has completed a post-secondary degree equal to a U.S. bachelor's degree and wishes to pursue a second bachelor’s degree in an approved major at CSUN.
- The major may not be the same as the previously awarded degree.
- Applications for second bachelor's degrees in all majors are strictly limited at this time.
All students are urged to consult with a department advisor to determine whether a second bachelor's degree or a graduate program better meets their needs. Read about the majors that CSUN offers and find department contact information in the University Catalog.
A second bachelor's degree applicant is admitted to CSUN as a graduate student and must meet all of the following requirements:
- The applicant has an acceptable earned baccalaureate degree and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in all units attempted as an undergraduate, independent of when the degree was granted; and
- The applicant has an acceptable earned baccalaureate degree and a minimum grade point average of 2.5 in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units attempted from all post-secondary institutions attended. The entire semester or quarter in which the 60/90 units began will be used in the calculation; and
- The applicant holds an acceptable post-baccalaureate degree earned at an institution.
International Admissions Criteria
International applicants to CSUN are required to submit the following:
- Complete the “International Online Application” for graduate students at CSUMentor. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections.
- A $55.00 (US currency) non-refundable processing fee payable to CSUN must accompany your application.
- Affidavit of Financial Support (.pdf) and bank statement. Both pages of the financial affidavit and the bank statement may be emailed to your International Admissions advisor.
- All OFFICIAL academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue. Do not fax academic records. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the institution(s) in the U.S. send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
- Official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas. Do not fax translations.
- Send all OFFICIAL transcripts and translations directly to:
California State University, Northridge
Attention: Office of International Admissions
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
7. Submit a copy of your passport information page with your documents.
8. Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test (see table below). Scores must be sent directly to CSUN from the testing agency.
English Language Requirement
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for graduate applicants.
|Test Name and Website|
Minimum Score Required for Graduate Students*
|Send Score Directly To CSUN|
6.5 or higher
|Have IELTS send a copy of your Test Report Form to CSUN.|
|58 or higher||Online through your PTE Academic Account|
|TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language||Use CSUN School Code 4707.|
*If you are a graduate of an accredited U.S. college or university, you do not need to submit an official score for TOEFL or other acceptable English language exam.
CSUN Intensive English Program and Conditional Admission:
An Intensive English Program (IEP) is offered through CSUN’s Tseng College of Extended Learning. The International Admissions Office works closely with the IEP office to offer "conditional admission" to academically eligible students enrolled in the IEP. Admission to the university is guaranteed once the student has completed the English language requirement (TOEFL or other acceptable test). Read more at Intensive English and University Pathways.
After You Apply
After you have applied to CSUN, make the rest of your application process go smoothly.
- Watch for CSUN correspondence by email and regular mail. You will receive a letter in the mail from CSUN Admissions and Records confirming receipt of your online CSUMentor application two to four weeks after you apply. The letter will include your:
- Nine-digit CSUN student identification number
- CSUN User ID and Initial Password
- Instructions to set up your CSUN account through myNorthridge Portal. See also account activation instructions.
- Check your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email address, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge Portal ("My Announcements").
You will be notified by the Office of International Admissions of your admissibility to the university. If you are admitted, you'll need to take a few more steps. Read more at Admitted International Students.