International Admissions Criteria
An international master’s or post-baccalaureate graduate student has completed a post-secondary degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. Graduate students may apply for admission to a master's or doctoral degree program at CSUN. Explore CSUN’s Graduate Degree Programs:
Two Application Processes
- Applicants to master's and doctoral programs must typically apply to both the university and the academic department. Some departments may require a separate departmental application.
- Please note that some graduate programs may have earlier filing deadlines than the university deadlines, or they may accept applications only for fall (not spring) admission.
As an international applicant to a CSUN master's or doctoral program, you will also need to meet any additional requirements for admission to the graduate program you wish to pursue. Please review these requirements by visiting the individual program website and contacting the graduate coordinator listed at Graduate Programs.
International applicants to CSUN are required to submit the following:
- Complete the “International Online Application” at CSUMentor. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections.
- A $55.00 (US currency) non-refundable processing fee payable to CSUN must accompany your application.
- Results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or other graduate examinations are required by some graduate programs. Scores must be sent directly to CSUN from the testing agency. Use CSUN school code 4707.
- Affidavit of Financial Support (.pdf) and bank statement. Both pages of the financial affidavit and the bank statement may be emailed to your International Admissions advisor.
- Original or certified copies of all OFFICIAL academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue. Do not fax academic records. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the institution(s) in the U.S. send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
- Official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas. Do not fax translations.
- Send OFFICIAL transcripts and translations directly to:
CSUN - Admissions and Records
Attention: International Admissions
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
8. Submit a copy of your passport information page with your documents.
9. Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test (see table below). Scores must be sent directly to CSUN from the testing agency.
English Language Requirement
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for graduate applicants.
|Test Name |
|Minimum Score Required for Graduate Students||Send Score Directly |
|IELTS - International English Language Test System||6.5 or higher*||Have IELTS send a copy of your Test Report Form to CSUN.|
|PTE Academic - Pearson’s Test of English||58 or higher||Online through your PTE Academic Account|
|TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language||— Computer-based score: 213|
— Internet Based score: 79
— Paper-based score: 550
|Use CSUN School Code 4707.|
*Beginning with admission to the Fall 2015 semester. the minimum required IELTS score is 6.5.
You may be exempt from the TOEFL or other English language exam if you have graduated from an accredited U.S. college or university.
CSUN Intensive English Program and Conditional Admission:
An Intensive English Program (IEP) is offered through CSUN’s Tseng College of Extended Learning. The International Admissions Office works closely with the IEP office to offer "conditional admission" to academically eligible students enrolled in the IEP. Admission to the university is guaranteed once the student has completed the English language requirement (TOEFL or other acceptable test). Read more at Intensive English and University Pathways.
After You Apply
After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your application process go smoothly.
- Watch for a letter in the mail from CSUN Admissions and Records confirming our receipt of your online CSUMentor application two to four weeks after you apply. The letter will contain your:
- Nine-digit CSUN student identification number
- CSUN User ID and Initial Password
- Instructions to set up your CSUN account through myNorthridge Portal. See also account activation instructions.
- Check your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email address, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge Portal ("My Announcements").
Your academic records will be evaluated and forwarded to the graduate department for an admission decision. Reminder: Please be sure to check with your graduate department for additional requirements.
As soon as the graduate department has notified the Office of International Admissions of your admissibility to the university, we will notify you. If you are admitted, you'll need to take a few more steps. Read more at Admitted International Students.