Visa & Immigration Advisement
You will receive a preliminary letter of admission asking you to notify your college or university advisor to transfer your SEVIS record to CSUN. About two to three business days after your prior school releases you in the SEVIS database, your I-20 will be available for you to pick up from our Office of International Admissions.
- If you prefer that we hold your I-20 for a friend or family member to pick up, please let us know as soon as possible.
- If no one is available to pick up your admission packet, you can also mail or carry a self-addressed, pre-paid envelope to the Office of International Admissions. NOTE: We will not release your I-20 to any express mail companies without a self-addressed pre-paid envelope.
You will also receive instructions for your online mandatory immigration information session (referred to as "The Six Steps") along with your admission letter.
Academic Advisement & Registration
You will receive an email from your departmental advisor directing you to set up an online appointment for academic advisement once registration begins. However, you cannot register for courses until you complete the online mandatory immigration information session and contact the International and Exchange Student Center.
You will receive a letter of admission, a letter of welcome from the International and Exchange Student Center, a letter inviting you to take the mandatory English Placement Test (EPT), and the Form I-20.
Please arrange an appointment at a local U.S. Embassy to secure your F-1 student visa. This can be a long process, so please make the appointment as soon as possible.
Registration materials will be mailed to you, and your enrollment appointment will display in myNorthridge Portal under "My Checklist." However, you will not be able to register for classes until:
- you have participated in online advisement with your academic department,
- you have arrived in the United States, participated in advisement with your department, and received advisement from the International and Exchange Student Center.
If possible, arrange an early test date to take the required English Placement Test (EPT) in your locale. Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you cannot arrange an early test date, you must take the EPT at CSU, Northridge on:
- Wednesday, August 20, 2014 for Fall 2014
- Wednesday, January 14, 2015 for Spring 2015
To view earlier test dates, visit the CSU, Northridge Testing Center EPT page.
You will receive an email from your departmental advisor directing you to set up an online appointment to select classes once registration begins. Upon arrival in the United States, please make an appointment with a representative from the International and Exchange Student Center.