International Admissions

  • Picture of Various Landmarks

    International Admission at Cal State Northridge

  • Picture of Various CSUN locations

    Invites you to the CSUN campus

Admitted Master's Student

Congratulations and welcome to California State University, Northridge!

Now that you've been admitted, there are still some important steps to take depending on whether you'll be coming to CSUN from inside or outside the United States.

Select your student group below to read the additional requirements for your situation:

Master's Student from inside the U.S.

You will receive a preliminary letter of admission asking you to notify your college or university advisor to transfer your SEVIS record to CSUN. About two or three business days after your prior school releases you in the SEVIS database, your I-20 will be available for you to pick up from our Office of International Admissions.

  • If you prefer that we hold your I-20 for a friend or family member to pick up, please let us know as soon as possible.
  • If no one is available to pick up your admission packet, you can also mail or carry a self-addressed, pre-paid envelope to the Office of International Admissions. NOTE: We will not release your I-20 to any express mail companies without a self-addressed, pre-paid envelope.

You will also receive instructions for your online mandatory immigration information session (referred to as "The Six Steps") along with your admission letter.

Registration materials will be mailed to you, and your enrollment appointment will display online in myNorthridge under "My Checklist." However, you cannot enroll in courses until you complete the online six-step immigration information session and contact CSUN's International and Exchange Student Center.

Master's Student out of the U.S.

You will receive a letter of admission, instructions to complete the online Six-Step Immigration Requirements, a copy of the departmental admission form (1295) for your master's program, and the Form I-20. You may also receive specific communications from your graduate department.

Please arrange an appointment at a local U.S. Embassy to secure your F-1 student visa. This can be a long process, so please make the appointment as soon as possible.

Registration materials will be mailed to you, and your enrollment appointment will display in myNorthridge Portal under "My Checklist." However, you cannot register for courses until you have arrived in the United States or you have made special arrangements with CSUN's International and Exchange Student Center and your academic department. Upon arrival, you will need to arrange a meeting with an advisor in the International and Exchange Student Center.