Admissions and Records

  • Admissions and Records banner with word cloud

Apply Lower Division Transfer Student

A transfer student has earned regionally accredited college credits after the summer immediately following high school graduation. You are a lower division transfer student if you have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester college units (fewer than 90 quarter units). 

Lower division transfer student applications are not currently considered for admission to Cal State Northridge. For exceptions and updates, please check the Admissions Calendar.

Lower Division Transfer Student - Eligibility Requirements

All lower division transfer students majoring in an exception need to meet all the following criteria:

  • Have a grade point average of 2.0 or better in all transferable college units; 
  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended; 
  • Have completed the CSU General Education Writing and Mathematics courses with a C or better (or be exempt from the EPT and ELM placement tests); and 
  • Meet the admission requirements for first-time freshmen.

How to Apply

  1. Check application deadlines and program status (open, closed or exceptions) in the CSUN Admissions Calendar.
  2. Select a major from the CSUN Catalog. All transfer students must declare a major when applying. "Undecided" is not available. You must apply for admission to an impacted major before the end of the initial application filing period. The following CSUN business majors are currently impacted: accountancy, finance, and the option in financial services.
  3. File an application for admission online through CSU Mentor.

After You Apply

After you have applied to CSUN, make the rest of your admissions process go smoothly with these steps:

  1. Set up your CSUN account and email as explained in the "activate your CSUN user ID and password" letter you received from Admissions and Records. See account activation instructions.
  2. Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your Incomplete Tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
  3. Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge (My Announcements).
  4. Send the $55 application fee, or request an Application Fee Waiver 2015-2016 (.pdf) if you did not already request the waiver in CSUMentor.
  5. Send us your test scores and official transcripts (see below).

Send Test Scores and Transcripts

CSUN uses your official test scores and transcripts to determine your eligibility for admission. To avoid delays, please send us test scores and transcripts as soon as they become available.

Test Scores

Arrange for CSUN to receive your test scores for:

  1. SAT or ACT test(s)
  2. Advanced Placement (AP) exams if applicable


Send official transcripts for all of the following:

  1. All courses taken at other colleges and universities previously attended even if the course work was not completed
  2. All college courses in which you are currently enrolled (These are your preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts.)
  3. Your final transcripts for work-in-progress as soon as you complete the courses and grades are posted
  4. Official high school transcripts with graduation date

All transcripts, preliminary and final, must be official (received in sealed, unopened envelopes). Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us. In some cases, transcripts may be sent to CSUN electronically. Check with your previous school.

Send official transcripts to: 

CSUN - Office of Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff Street 
Northridge, CA 91330-8207

Transcript Deadlines

Official transcripts of all college courses including work-in-progress must be postmarked or hand delivered to Admissions and Records by the following due date:

  • Spring 2015: Not open for admission to lower division transfer students
  • Fall 2015: Not open for admission to lower division transfer students
  • Spring 2016: To Be Announced (TBA)

Admission Appeals

If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.