SPRING 2017 ADMISSION
Nonresident (out-of-state) first-time freshman applicants may apply for Spring 2017 admission using the instructions on this page.
- Student veterans and international students should select the link for their student group on this page.
- For Fall 2017 admission information, visit first-time freshman applicant.
Have you chosen a major? Explore CSUN Bachelor's Degree Programs.
Are you a first-time freshman?
A first-time freshman is a student who has earned no college credit after the summer immediately following high school graduation. First-time freshman must apply for admission before the end of the initial application filing period.
To be considered for admission as a first-time freshman, you must meet all the following admissions criteria:
- Graduate from high school or have the legal equivalent of a high school diploma.
- Complete the college preparatory subject requirements (a-g course list) with a grade of C or better:
- English: 4 years
- Mathematics: 3 years. Algebra, geometry, and intermediate algebra
- Social Science/History: 2 years, including 1 year U.S. history or U.S. history and government
- Science: 2 years. 1 biological science with lab, and 1 physical science with lab
- Foreign Language: 2 years in the same language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
- Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year. Art, dance, drama/theater, or music
- Electives: 1 year. Selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science/history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts, or any other courses approved and included on the UC/CSU "a-g" list.
- SAT or ACT test scores must be received by Admissions and Records no later than Wednesday, August 31, 2016, for Spring 2017 admission.
- For test dates and registration, ask your high school counselor or visit the following websites:
- Earn a qualifiable eligibility index. The CSU Statewide Eligibility Index is a weighted combination of high school grade point average during the final three years of high school and a score on either the SAT or ACT test. All grades earned in "a-g" college preparatory courses taken in 10th through 12th grades are used to calculate the grade point average (GPA).
Nonresidents of California are required to have a minimum eligibility index of 3502 (SAT) or 842 (ACT).
Calculate your eligibility index using either the SAT or ACT score:
- SAT (scores in mathematics and critical reading) + (800 x high school grade point average)
- (10 x ACT composite score without the writing score) + (200 x high school grade point average)
- While your English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) test scores are not required for admission, you must satisfy the requirement before enrolling in classes. Even if you are admitted, you must take the EPT/ELM tests (unless you are exempt) in order to enroll in Spring 2017 classes. Have your EPT/ELM test scores sent to CSUN so that we receive them no later than October 31, 2016.
- If you are outside California, you will need to arrange to take the EPT/ELM test in your location. For details, visit the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website and select "Out-of-State Testing." Please note that there is an out-of-state testing fee in addition to the fee per test.
- If you are in California, take the EPT/ELM tests as early as possible at a CSU campus near you. Be sure to register for the EPT/ELM tests before the test registration deadline. Online registration, test locations and dates are available on the ETS website.
- If you miss the October 31, 2016 deadline for sending CSUN your EPT/ELM test scores, you will need to do either of the following:
- Reapply for admission to CSUN for the next available semester
- Attend another college or university to complete all lower division requirements, and apply to CSUN as an upper division transfer student.
Take these steps to apply for nonresident first-time freshman admission:
- Review application deadlines and major status (open, closed or exceptions) in the Admissions Calendar.
- Download and complete the paper CSU 2016-2017 Undergraduate Application Form (.pdf). Have important documents (grades, transcripts, test scores) handy when completing the application.
- Enclose the following items together with your completed paper application.
- $55 nonrefundable application fee (check or money order only) or the completed request for an Application Fee Waiver 2016-2017 (.pdf). We must receive your payment or the waiver by December 1, 2016. Please enclose with your packet if possible.
- An official paper copy of your SAT/ACT test score(s)
- Your official, final high school transcripts verifying graduation date (see below)
- Mail your paper application packet to the address below for our receipt no later than August 31, 2016:
CSUN - Admissions & Records
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
All transcripts must be "official;" we must receive them in sealed, unopened envelopes even when you enclose them in your paper application packet. If it is not possible to enclose them with your application, ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us at the address immediately above.
After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your admissions process goes smoothly:
- Set up your CSUN account and email as explained in the "activate your CSUN user ID and password" letter you received from Admissions and Records. See account activation instructions.
- Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your Incomplete Tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge ("My Announcements").
- Send final, official transcripts. All transcripts must be "official" (we must receive them in sealed, unopened envelopes) even when you enclose them in your paper application packet. If final transcripts were not enclosed with your application, ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us at the following address:
CSUN - Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
- Send the $55 application fee, or request an Application Fee Waiver 2016-2017 (.pdf).
- If you are admitted, you will need to file your “Intent to Register” electronically no later than Monday, December 1, 2016. No deposit is required. Read more at Admitted to CSUN.
|Task or Document||Spring 2017|
|Last day for CSUN to receive your paper admission application packet||August 31, 2016|
|Last day for CSUN to receive SAT/ACT test scores (enclose paper copy in your application packet)||With your application packet|
|Send final, official high school transcript verifying graduation date||With your application packet|
|Send college transcripts (if any)||As soon as grades are posted|
|Send official test scores if you have taken any Advanced Placement, International Baccaluareate, or CLEP tests||As soon as test scores are available|
|Last day for CSUN to receive EPT/ELM placement test scores||October 31, 2016|
|Last day for CSUN to receive $55 application fee or application fee waiver form (.pdf) if not enclosed with paper packet||December 1, 2016|
|Last day to file Intent to Register in myNorthridge*||December 1, 2016|
*If you are admitted after November 17, 2016, you will have 14 days from your admission date to file your Intent to Register.