FALL 2017 ADMISSION
All first-time freshmen may apply for Fall 2017 admission October 1 through November 30, 2016. See the instructions on this page and also review Impaction Information.
CSUN is impacted for undergraduate students. All freshman applicants must meet the minimum standard CSU admission criteria described on this page. Non-local area applicants must also meet any supplementary admission criteria for their geographical location. If you are a California resident, regardless of location, applying to an impacted major, you must also meet any supplementary criteria for that major. Both kinds of supplementary criteria are described at Freshman Impaction.
- Explore CSUN majors in the University Catalog.
- Review the Pre-Admission Disclosure for Academic Programs Leading to Licensure or Credentialing.
Are you a first-time freshman?
A first-time freshman is a student who has earned no college credit after the summer immediately following high school graduation. First-time freshmen must apply for admission before the end of the initial application filing period.
To be considered for admission as a first-time freshman, you must meet all the standard CSU admission criteria below:
1. Graduate from high school or have the legal equivalent of a high school diploma.
2. Complete the college preparatory subject requirements (a-g course list) with a grade of C or better:
- English: 4 years
- Mathematics: 3 years. Algebra, geometry, and intermediate algebra
- Social Science/History: 2 years, including 1 year U.S. history or U.S. history and government
- Science: 2 years. 1 biological science with lab, and 1 physical science with lab
- Foreign Language: 2 years in the same language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
- Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year. Art, dance, drama/theater, or music
- Electives: 1 year. Selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science/history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts, or any other courses approved and included on the UC/CSU "a-g" list.
3. SAT or ACT test scores must be received by Admissions and Records no later than Wednesday, February 1, 2017, for Fall 2017 admission. The last opportunity to take the tests is in early December 2016. Register 5 weeks or more before the test date.
4. Earn a qualifying eligibility index. The CSU Statewide Eligibility Index is a weighted combination of high school grade point average during the final three years of high school and a score on either the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT). All grades earned in "a-g" college preparatory courses taken in 10th through 12th grades are used to calculate the grade point average (GPA).
- Local area applicants graduating from California schools inside the defined Local Admission Area must possess a minimum eligibility index of 2900 using the SAT or 694 using the ACT.
- Non-local area applicants graduating from California schools outside the defined Local Admission Area must meet any supplementary eligibility index criteria published at freshman impaction criteria.
Note: Space permitting, non-local area applicants will be admitted until the freshman class is full.
- Nonresidents (domestic out-of-state applicants), see Eligibility Index requirements at CSUMentor Eligibility Indexes.
You can look up your eligibility index at CSUMentor Eligibility Indexes. Or, calculate your eligibility index using either the SAT or ACT score:
- SAT (scores in mathematics and critical reading) + (800 x high school grade point average)
- (10 x ACT composite score without the writing score) + (200 x high school grade point average)
5. If your desired major is impacted, you will also need to meet any supplementary admission criteria for that major. published at freshman impaction.
1. While your English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) test scores are not required for admission, you must satisfy the requirement before enrolling in classes. Even if you are admitted, you must take the EPT/ELM tests (unless you are exempt) by Saturday, May 6, 2017 for Fall 2017 enrollment.
Because of heavy demand and limited seating, you should register for the tests much earlier than the May deadline. Information about test dates, registration, exemptions and more is available at CSUN Testing Center.
Arrange for ETS to send your EPT/ELM scores to CSUN school code 4707.
2. If you miss the EPT/ELM test deadline, you will need to do either of the following:
- Reapply for admission to CSUN for the next available fall semester (first-time freshmen are not currently admitted to spring semesters)
- Attend another college or university to complete all lower division requirements, and apply to CSUN as a transfer student.
You may prepare a written appeal. However, appeals regarding missed deadlines are rarely considered.
Take these steps to apply for admission:
- Apply for admission during the initial filing period published at Admissions Calendar. Review application deadlines and major status (open, closed or exceptions if any).
- File an online application through CSUMentor during the initial filing period. For Fall 2017 admission, the initial filing period ends November 30, 2016.
- Have important documents (grades, transcripts, test scores) handy when completing the online application.
- Send us your preliminary high school transcript as soon as you complete the first semester of your senior year.
- Send your final high school transcript verifying graduation date as soon as you graduate.
All transcripts must be "official" (we must receive them in sealed, unopened envelopes). If you are transferring course work taken at a California community college during high school or the summer immediately following high school graduation, see the instructions for electronic transcripts at eTranscript California.
Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us at:
After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your admission process goes smoothly:
- Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal and your CSUN email. Watch for a communication from CSUN Admissions and Records confirming our receipt of your online CSUMentor application after you apply.
- If you applied before January 20, 2017, you should receive an "activate your CSUN user ID and password" letter from Admissions and Records about 2 to 4 weeks after you applied.
- If you apply after January 23, 2017, you will receive an “Activate Your CSUN Account” email sent to the inbox you provided on your admission application. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply. Follow the instructions in the email.
- For help, see account activation instructions.
- Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. For help, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge ("My Announcements").
- Send the $55 application fee if not already paid in CSUMentor, or request an application fee waiver (.pdf).
- If you are admitted, you must file your “Intent to Register” electronically no later than Monday, May 1, 2017 in order to attend CSUN in Fall 2017. See Admitted to CSUN.
Remember, we want to communicate with you!
- Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
- Take a moment to verify your paper mailing address in myNorthridge Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.
|Task or Document||Fall 2017|
|Last day to apply for admission||11/30/2016 (Apply at CSUMentor.)|
|Last day for CSUN to receive $55 application fee payment or application fee waiver form (.pdf) if not requested on CSUMentor||12/15/16|
|Send official test scores if you have taken any Advanced Placement, International Baccaluareate, or CLEP tests||As soon as test scores are available|
|Last day for CSUN to receive SAT/ACT test scores||2/1/2017|
|Last day to file Intent to Register in myNorthridge*||5/1/2017|
|Last day to take EPT/ELM placement tests||5/6/2017**|
|Last day for CSUN to receive EPT/ELM scores||Arrange for ETS to send scores to CSUN school code 4707.|
|Send official preliminary high school transcript||After you apply and as soon as you complete the 1st semester of your senior year|
|Send official final high school transcript verifying graduation date||8/11/2017|
Send official college transcripts (if any)
To transfer course work from a California community college, see eTranscript California.
|As soon as grades are posted|
*If admitted after the following date, you will have 14 days from your admission date to file Intent to Register:
– Fall 2017: after April 16, 2017
**Because of heavy demand, you should sign up for the EPT/ELM tests much earlier than the May deadline. For exemptions, test dates and registration information, see CSUN Testing Center.
Admission is provisional until all eligibility requirements and deadlines have been met, including those for applicants affected by campus impaction and impacted majors. Read more.
If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.