Are You Interested in Education?
- Applicants to a CSUN credential program are considered for admission as post-baccalaureate classified students. If you are interested in earning a credential, review the eligibility requirements below, the University Catalog Credential Programs section and the Credential Office website.
- Before applying, please read Academic Programs Leading to Licensure or Credentialing.
Two Application Processes
- Applicants to credential programs must apply to both the university and the specific credential program. Many credential programs have higher admission standards than the university admission criteria, and all credential programs require a separate application.
- While credential programs continue accepting applications after the university’s initial filing period, some individual programs may accept applications only for fall (not spring) admission.
Applicants are considered for admission to CSUN when they meet both university and credential program eligibility requirements. To be admitted to CSUN (the university) as a credential student, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university or college.
- Have been in good standing at the last institution attended.
- Have a minimum 2.5 grade point average in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units attempted, independent of when the baccalaureate was granted.
- The entire semester or quarter in which the 60/90 units began will be used in this calculation. Lower division courses or courses taken in extension (except in concurrent enrollment at CSUN at the upper division course level) after obtaining the bachelor's degree will be EXCLUDED from the calculation.
- Note: Specific credential program GPA requirements may be higher than the university requirement.
1. Check application deadlines and program status (open or closed) in the Admissions Calendar.
2. Complete a Credential Program Application, available on the Credential Office How to Apply page.
3. Complete the CSU university application for the semester of desired admission:
- FALL 2017: Starting June 1: Download and complete the university paper CSU 2017-2018 Graduate Application (.pdf). Note: You do not need to enter the 3-digit Credential Code or the Credential Objective Code in the paper application Part A, Section G, question 36, nor in Part B, question 11.
- SPRING 2018: Starting August 1, 2017, complete the online application at Cal State Apply.
Have important documents (grades, transcripts, test scores) handy when completing the application.
PLEASE NOTE: If the application filing period for the individual credential program you desire is closed, please do not complete a university application. Contact the Credential Office for guidance.
4. Gather the official transcripts that the Credential Office has indicated are required for your desired program.
- Request that all transcripts be sent to your home address in duplicate.
- Once you have them all, submit each set separately to the Credential Office and to Admissions and Records.
- Transcripts must be official; they must be received in sealed, unopened envelopes.
5. Remit the $55 nonrefundable CSU application fee for the semester of desired admission:
- Fall 2017: Enclose the $55 fee (check or money order only, payable to The California State University) with you paper application packet.
- Spring 2018: To submit the Cal State Apply application, the $55 fee must be paid online.
6. Send us your documents for the semester of your desired admission:
- Fall 2017: To expedite processing, enclose the required documents (paper university application, official transcripts as indicated by the Credential Office (item 4 above), $55 application fee) together in one packet.
- Spring 2018: Send us the your official transcripts as indicated by the Credential Office (see item 4 above).
6. Deliver documents by mail or in person:
CSUN - Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
After you have applied to CSUN, make the rest of your admission process go smoothly.
Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal and CSUN email. Watch for a communication sent to you from Admissions and Records after we receive your University Application:
—If you applied before January 20, 2017, you should have received an "Activate Your CSUN User ID and Password" letter from Admissions and Records about 2 to 4 weeks after you applied.
—If you apply after January 23, 2017, you will receive an “Activate Your CSUN Account” email sent to the inbox you provided on your admission application 1 or 2 days after you apply (longer for Fall 2017 paper applications).
—For help, see account activation instructions.
- Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your Incomplete Tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge ("My Announcements").
Remember, we want to communicate with you!
- Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
- Take a moment to verify your paper mailing address in myNorthridge Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.
If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.