Creating Mathematics Using MathML
In order to create MathML from your software created Math equations, install any of the free or paid applications.
The following software were utilized to create MathML code.
- The equations can be created in the Stand Alone Editor and using the Save As/Cut Copy Preferences option they can be exported into MathML code.
- Alternatively, equations can be created in Microsoft Word/Powerpoint using the MathType Option in the Microsoft Ribbon.
- In MS Word: Use the Convert to MathML option within the Microsoft Ribbon to generate the MathML code.
- In MS Word/Powerpoint: Use the Publish to Math Page option to convert the whole document into MathML code and directly view on an Internet Browser (Note: Page Formatting may not be saved through this option).
MathEQ Expression Editor
- Create the Equations in the MathEQ Expression Editor.
- Select the Entire Equation using the Mouse or use the Shortkey Ctrl-A within the editor.
- Go to Edit Menu --> Copy As Type --> MathML Tag to export the equation into MathML code
This copies the equation (selection) to the Clipboard.
MathMagic Personal Edition
- Open the Math Magic Personal Edition
- Create the equations in the Stand Alone Editor
- After creating your equation go to the File --> Save As option.
- Choose Save As Type - MathML file (*.xml,*.mml,*.mathml,*.html,*.htm) and export your Math content into MathML code.
- Open the created file in a text editor like Wordpad and copy the contents of the MathML code.
The MathML code is between the ' <math>' open tag and '</math>' close tags in the document.
- The equations can be created in the Stand Alone Editor.
- Go to Tools --> Export Settings
- In Export Settings Window, set the option to Export math as MathML
- Go to File --> Export Document and Save it as a MathML Dcoument.
- Open the Firefox Browser
- Go to Tools --> Fire Math
- Create your Equations in the FireMath Interface
- Use the Save As MathML Option
- Choose Output type As Stand Alone Equation(Selection 2) in the Output Window
- Save the Math Content as a MathML Code
- Open the created file in a text editor like Wordpad and copy entire contents of the file.
Final Step for Each Software
The obtained MathML code can then be pasted into your web editor (like Dreamweaver or Kompozer) in the body tag of your HTML code. If the MathML code was copied to the clipboard, just press Ctrl-V inside the body tag of your HTML code. This allows the math content to be displayed on your website after it is published.
In order to view the MathML content, the webpage should have an extension 'xht', for example integrals.xht.
In addition add the following code to the very top (declaration) of your xht file
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
[<!ENTITY mathml "http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">]>
An example of Mathematical Content using MathML