CSUN  Wordmark
Page Description

The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Asian American Studies banner

Asian American Studies Major - Double Major - Minor

Office Location

JR 340



Main Office Hour

M-F 9 AM to 5 PM


Helpful Links

Asian American Studies Advisement Page

Faculty and students at mixer

Undergraduate Advising.

Students interested in declaring the major, double major or minor, seeking graduation evaluations, or looking for routine academic advisement in Asian American Studies are welcome to speak to any of our full-time faculty and go to JR 240 to see an academic advisor to process your paperwork for major and minor declaration.

Degree Information (download files, pdf format):

The following are forms to help you figure out course requirements at CSUN and in Asian American Studies. Because of budget cut, we can no longer have a departmental academic advisor. Students must declare their major/minor by going to JR 240 to fill out the paperwork. Nevertheless, please view below for links to relevant information that the department has provided for students.

Advisement Plans

An advisement plan is basically a layout of recommended classes students should take in the course of their education to graduate in AAS in four years. Here are downloadable plans for the AAS major, double major and minor.



Some important issues to consider:

  • Students may combine B.A.(Bachelor of Arts) and B.S. (Bachelor of Science) degrees when double majoring. That means when double majoring in AAS, your other major can be either a B.A. or a B.S.
  • DO NOT repeat a course just because you enjoyed it. You will not receive extra credit for it; you should take similar courses (e.g., AAS 100 then AAS 210). There are few exceptions to this rule (e.g., Taking it again to improve your GPA).
  • You can take up to 9 units of independent study courses, of which only 6 units can count toward your major requirement.
  • Check-in with the academic advisor in your major or minor at least once a year to ensure you are taking the right classes to graduate.
  • Note that you can view both your own DPR and MAP from the portal.  To download your DPR (Degree Progress Report), log in Solar portal site.
  • AVOID taking upper-division courses while you are not yet a junior.
  • Try to finish up your GEs and Title V and WPE by end of your junior year (see course requirements check above) given that upper-division courses have prerequisites of specific lower-division courses and/or are writing intensive courses.
  • Maintain a GPA above 2.0 b/c you cannot graduate with a GPA lower than 2.0.
  • Take seriously the probation period to improve your GPA to avoid being disqualified.
  • Note that you only have 3 times of disqualification before you no longer qualify to be readmitted to CSUN.
  • Note that you need 40 units of upper-division courses and 9 of that must be GE units in 2 different sections.
  • If you are an AAS major or double major, you may take up to 6 units of independent study in AAS. If you are an AAS minor, you may take 3 units of independent study in AAS. Basically, you can only take a maximum of 9 units of independent study; 6 within your major department.
  • You must do your graduation check at least a year before you plan to graduate. That way, you can make sure all the courses and paperwork are in order to graduate. Too often, students wait until last minute to do grad check and end up learning that they have not taken enough courses to graduate. They will also have to pay an extra fee for handing in the graduation form late. Check your schedule of classes for deadlines.
  • Please note that you need 120 units of credit to graduate from CSUN.
  • If the academic advisor in the department is not available and you have an emergency situation with your enrollment, please go to JR 240, the Advisement Center for help.
  • DO NOT TAKE CR/NCR (credit or no credit) on courses for your GE and major/minor requirements. If you do, the courses won't count for GE and major requirement.
  • Changes to your class schedule during weeks 5 through 17 are normally not permitted. If there are "serious and compelling reasons" for a schedule change, discuss what options are available with your instructor. If there is "no viable alternative," document your justification and secure the instructor's signature. Submit your Change of Schedule form to the Associate Vice President of Undergraduate Studies within 14 days of the instructor's signature, but no later than end of that semester.
  • To find out courses from other colleges that would transfer to CSUN, go to http://www.assist.org to see if the courses are transferable to your major or requirements at CSUN.
  • If you need to fill out student forms, go to http://www.csun.edu/anr/forms/ for the latest version of forms for students.
  • To understand about financial aid such as scholarships, go to http://www.csun.edu/financialaid/.
  • Interested in grad school and don't know much about it? Go to our link for more information about grad issues to consider.
  • Need a loan for grad school? Go to http://www.calstate.edu/hr/flp/ for more information about forgivable loans. Basically, you get your graduate terminal degree and go back to teach at CSU to have your loan from grad school waived.
  • The department has a social justice fund to help students in their social justice work. Please ask the chair.