CSUN  Wordmark
Money Matters

The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Money Matters

Registration Guide Home › Money Matters


Fee Information

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees.

Tuition and Other Fees

Visit University Cash Services for:
  1. ePayment - How to Pay Tuition and Fees
  2. eRefund Information
  3. Fee Payment Schedule – due dates
  4. Installment Payment Plan
  5. Tuition and Other Fees – Resident and Nonresident
  6. Photo ID Card
  7. Refund Information and Policy
  8. Returned Checks

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Time is money! Don't waste it. Get started now researching what funds are available to help you pay for college, how to get them, what you need to do to be prepared, and when forms are due.

The first step is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov. If you have questions, please ask--don't guess. Financial Aid representatives are ready to help you. Call, e-mail, or stop by the Student Services Center in the first floor lobby of Bayramian Hall (BH 100).

Visit Financial Aid and Scholarships for:
  1. Financial Aid
  2. Grants
  3. Loans
  4. Work-Study
  5. Scholarships and Application Calendar

Financial Aid and Registration

View Your Financial Aid and Scholarships Online:

  1. Log into myNorthridge Portal at www.csun.edu and select Financial Matters (tab) > Financial Aid Resources (box) > Money You've Been Awarded (link).

  2. To view account details, return to the Financial Matters tab and click View Account Information in the My Financial Obligations box.

Students awarded Financial Aid and accepting those awards may see CSUN accounting statements on SOLAR that include an amount called “Anticipated Aid.” Anticipated Aid is Financial Aid that has not disbursed to the student account. All disbursement rules must be met (see examples below) before aid will be paid out.

Students who lose Financial Aid eligibility, or for whom Financial Aid awards are not sufficient to pay all their tuition and other fee charges, will see an amount they owe on SOLAR. The amount is the student’s financial obligation and must be paid by the deadlines in the Tuition and Other Fees Payment Schedule published on the University Cash Services website. Financial Aid awards are disbursed to student accounts the week classes start, and weekly thereafter. The student must enroll in units through registration or late registration in order to receive a disbursement.

At the time of financial aid disbursements, all students must be enrolled in units. Awards may be automatically prorated based on your enrollment if you are not enrolled full time. Full time for undergraduates, teacher credential candidates, and second bachelor’s students is 12 units. Full time for master's degree and doctoral students is 8 units. Most Financial Aid programs have minimum enrollment requirements that, if not met, might cause award reductions or total cancellations. If the student withdraws or drops classes, immediate repayment may be required.

All Financial Aid balance checks for grants, loans and scholarships are mailed directly to the student’s address on file with the Office of Admissions and Records or sent via eRefund. Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) funds will be applied towards any outstanding charges on the student's account. Leftover funds in excess of charges will be mailed to the parent-borrower. The student must be enrolled in at least half-time units (6 units) for PLUS funds to disburse.

Aid Disbursement, Address Change

Financial Aid is applied to a student’s account during the week classes begin and weekly thereafter. If there is a balance in a student's account after the tuition fee, other fees, and residence costs are deducted, a check is mailed to the student at his or her address of record or an eRefund is processed if the student has signed up for it.

Review your current address online by logging into myNorthridge at www.csun.edu and selecting SOLAR Student Center > Personal Information (section) > Home Address (or Mailing Address). Update your address as soon as possible to ensure that your balance check is mailed to the correct address.


All new CSUN students must purchase a CSUN Photo ID card. The card is required for:

  1. All transactions at the Student Services Center in Bayramian Hall (BH 100)—Admissions and Records, Financial Aid and Scholarships, and University Cash Services, including check pick-up

  2. Oviatt Library services

  3. Student Health Center

  4. University Student Union

  5. Voting in Associated Student elections, obtaining tickets from the Associated Student Ticket Office at reduced rates, and attending CSUN athletic events and selected other campus programs at reduced rates or free of charge.

Purchase Your Photo ID Card

Online - Log into myNorthridge and select Financial Matters tab > My Financial Obligations box > Purchase a Photo ID link.

  1. Pay by credit card (a 2.9% service fee is charged) or electronic check (no service fee).

  2. Print your receipt. Bring it and a required photo ID (valid driver's license, other state-issued ID, or passport) to Admissions and Records in the Student Services Center, Bayramian Hall Lobby (BH 100).

  3. Have photo taken and receive your card.

In Person - Go to the Student Services Center, Bayramian Hall Lobby (BH 100) and:

  1. Bring required photo ID (valid driver’s license, other state-issued ID, or passport).

  2. Pay $5.00 fee to University Cash Services (cashier window) first.

  3. Then take your receipt and photo ID card to one of the Admissions and Records windows to have your picture taken and receive your card.


Monday and Thursday - 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Tuesday and Wednesday - 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Friday - 8:30 am to 4:00 pm

After Hours: A CSUN photo ID may be obtained at the Oviatt Library circulation desk.

During the First Week of Late Registration: The Photo ID Station remains open the same extended hours as the Student Services Center.

Registration Sponsorships and Waivers

Students enrolling under one of the following university-sanctioned programs may have some portion or all of the tuition and other fees waived or paid by a sponsor organization. The signed authorization/voucher must be submitted prior to registration. Authorizations with payment restrictions will not be accepted. Students will be responsible for differential payment if the employer/agency is not assuming responsibility for the full amount of tuition and other fees (e.g., nonresident tuition). The employer/agency will be billed for the authorized (or actual if less) amount with payment due within thirty days of the invoice date.


  1. Corporate/Organization. A contractual agreement with the University is required from the sponsoring agency. Students must enclose authorization obtained from the employer/agency. The agency authorization must be on company letterhead stationery with an authorized signature.

  2. Federal Government. A signed authorization must be on letterhead stationery of a recognized branch of the Federal Government. The student is responsible for any portion of the tuition and other fees not covered by the agency.

  3. International Students/International Embassy. Government sponsored students should submit a billing authorization letter to the Office of Student Development and International Programs and the University's Student Accounting Department. The University will bill the Embassy, and payment must be remitted within 30 days of the invoice date. For assistance contact the Office of Student Development and International Programs at (818) 677-3053.

  4. Military/ROTC. Enclose authorization on letterhead stationery or 1556 form which clearly indicates the sponsoring agency to be billed. The authorization must bear the signature of the commanding officer or recognized official. Payment from the sponsoring agent is required within thirty days of the invoice date.

  5. State and Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation. Enclose signed authorization from the appropriate sponsoring agency (State Department of Rehabilitation or Veterans Administration).

  6. Veterans Services. Students seeking education allowances under provisions of any Veterans Act must be eligible with the Veterans Administration to receive benefits. All students wishing to draw benefits who are enrolled for any term must have their current program on file with Veterans Student Services. This rule applies each time you register with the University. For additional information, go to the CSUN Veterans Affairs website, or visit the Veterans Affairs Office in Bayramian Hall 150, or call (818) 677-5928.


  1. Alan Pattee Scholarship. California residents who are dependent survivors of active California law enforcement/fire suppression officers killed in the line of duty may receive a waiver of tuition fees. Students eligible for this program must submit qualifying documentation to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Department or call (818) 677-4085 for information.

  2. CSU State Employee Fee Waiver and Reduction Program. CSU State employees and their spouse, dependent child, or registered domestic partner may be eligible to attend classes at a significantly reduced price. Electronic applications must be completed prior to the deadlines posted on our Web site. For more information visit the Fee Waiver and Reduction Program Web site, e-mail to feewaiver@csun.edu, or call (818) 677-2173.

  3. Education Code 68121 Tuition Waiver. Surviving dependents of victims killed in the September 11, 2011 terrorist attacks may be eligible to receive a waiver of tuition fees. Students must meet the financial need requirements for the Cal Grant A Program, be in an undergraduate program, and have been a California resident on September 11, 2001. Students eligible for this program must submit documentation from the California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Department or call (818) 677-4085 for information.

  4. International Study Abroad (CSUIP) Programs at CSUN. Once accepted to the study abroad program, CSUN students follow instructions for tuition and other fees payment forwarded to them by the system-wide California State University Office of International Programs. Learn more at Study Abroad.

  5. Intrasystem Concurrent Enrollment. California resident students participating in this program pay their tuition and other fees at the home campus. Applications and instructions are available at the Student Forms website.

  6. Intrasystem Visitor Enrollment. California resident students participating in this program pay their tuition and other fees at the host CSU campus. Applications and instructions are available at the Student Forms website.

  7. National Student Exchange (NSE). Incoming students participating on the National Student Exchange program who have been accepted on Plan A (paying CSUN's tuition and other fees) will be able to view their student account information and financial aid online in myNorthridge and the SOLAR Student Center when they activate their CSUN User ID and Password. Information is also available at Student Finance and Financial Aid and Scholarships.

    Incoming students participating in the National Student Exchange program who have been accepted on Plan B continue to pay their home school's tuition and will receive financial aid from their home school, if applicable.

  8. Talented High School. This program provides a reduction of tuition and other fees for qualified high school students. Applications and instructions are available at the Student Forms website. For program availability, please check CSUN's Application Filing Periods.

  9. Veteran's Dependent. Visit the California County Veterans Services Office website at www.cacvso.org for eligibility requirements and an application. Once approved, submit the Waiver Authorization letter to the CSUN Veterans Student Services Office, Bayramian Hall 150. Pay all mandatory campus-based fees (if applicable) at University Cash Services before the payment deadlines. Veterans' dependents will be responsible for all applicable mandatory campus-based fees except for the Tuition Fee.

Federal Military Selective Service Act

  1. The Federal Military Selective Service Act (the “Act”) requires most males residing in the United States to present themselves for registration with the Selective Service System within thirty days of their eighteenth birthday. Most males between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered. Males born after December 31, 1959 may be required to submit a statement of compliance with the act and regulations in order to receive any grant, loan or work assistance under specified provisions of existing federal law. In California, students subject to the Act who fail to register are also ineligible to receive any need-based student grants funded by the state or public post secondary institution.

  2. Selective Service registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office, and many high schools have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. Applicants for Financial Aid can also request that information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be used to register them with the Selective Service. Information on the Selective Service system is available and the registration process may be initiated online at www.sss.gov.