CSUN  Wordmark
Troubleshooting Registration

The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Troubleshooting Registration

Registration Guide Home › Troubleshooting Registration

Topics on this Page


Frequently Asked Questions

How to Use This Page

Select a topic from the left side bar or use the keyboard "Find" feature (hold down the "Control" + "F" keys and enter the word or phrase you want to find). You'll find additional help at Registration Frequently Asked Questions.

Account Activation

When you apply to Cal State Northridge, you receive a student account, CSUN user name, password, and e-mail address. These are your keys to online student services from admission through degree completion. When you activate your account, you’ll be able to view your student information and important University e-mail, register for classes, check your financials, and more.

For more information, see:

Account Activation Instructions

What are myNorthridge and the SOLAR Student Center?

Back to Top

Class Schedule

The Schedule of Classes is the online listing of courses offered at CSUN each academic term. To help you plan ahead to complete your degree objective, schedules are published well in advance of the term start dates.

To view the Schedule of Classes, use SOLAR Class Search.

Learn more with the tutorial Class Search.

Back to Top

Course Requisites

Before enrolling in a class and to avoid problems, make sure you've met the course requisites--the requirements that must be satisfied in order to enroll in a class. Requisites are often related courses but can also be conditions including class level, a specific exam score, a specified passing grade, etc.

Requisites are stated in the course descriptions of the university catalog. They also display in Class Search. Go to www.csun.edu/class-search, select the term, look up the course and class section, and click the Detail link. The requisites, if any, will display in the “Course Information” and “Notes” boxes.

Four kinds of course requisites are explained below.

A prerequisite must be completed or met before enrolling in a course. CSUN courses in which students are currently enrolled (i.e., work in progress) at the time of registration will satisfy prerequisite requirements. Transfer work in progress at another institution will NOT satisfy prerequisite requirements.

For more information see Prerequisite FAQs.

A corequisite requires concurrent enrollment in another associated course (usually a lecture or graded lab). SOLAR will prompt you to add all corequisite courses before finishing your enrollment request. Be sure to check Class Notes to see if concurrent enrollment in a specific class section number is required.

For registration instructions, see the guide Add Corequisite Classes.

A multiple component course is a graded lecture class that has a required, non-graded, zero-unit lab or discussion (usually applies to selected Chemistry classes only). No matter which component you enroll in first, SOLAR will prompt you to enroll in the corresponding lecture, lab and/or discussion classes also. See the tutorial Add Component Classes.

A preparatory course or condition is recommended to be completed or met prior to enrollment in another course. The registration system will not block enrollment if the preparatory course/condition is not met. Consult the academic department for more information.

Back to Top

Excessive Enrollment

If an undergraduate student repeats enrollment in a course beyond its published maximum “for-credit” limitations (see current university catalog), units earned will not be counted toward the baccalaureate degree. The units attempted and any grade points, however, will be averaged with the student’s other grades. Check with an advisor before re-enrolling in a course. On the third or subsequent enrollment in a course, it is necessary to obtain permission of the associate dean of the college in which the course is offered.

For more information, see:

Repeating Courses

Enrollment Rules FAQs

Back to Top

Permission Numbers

Permission numbers allow registration in specific classes that students would not otherwise be able to enroll in. Permissions are issued to students by departments and instructors in three situations:

Permission numbers must be used no later than the third Friday of instruction for the fall and spring semesters; they will expire after that. For specific dates, see Add and Drop Classes.

For more information, see:

Registration FAQs

Restricted Classes

Tutorial - Add a Class Using a Permission Number

Back to Top

Repeating Courses

New: Registration in repeated courses is permitted starting with the Thursday before classes begin (fall and spring semesters). For specific dates, see the Semester Bulletin.

Repeat policies and unit limits differ for undergraduate and graduate students.

Undergraduate Students:  The university recognizes that undergraduate students may need to repeat one or more courses in order to fulfill degree requirements and/or enhance previously acquired skills. However, students should seek academic advisement before deciding to repeat any course.

A maximum of 16 semester units of CSU Northridge coursework in which a student earned less than a C grade may be repeated for the purpose of excluding grades (or grade forgiveness) from the computation of a student’s overall GPA. Only the first 16 semester units repeated are eligible for grade forgiveness. All subsequent repeats will be averaged into the student’s total GPA. For more information, see the Undergraduate Policy on Repeating Courses.

Graduate Students:  With prior permission of the Graduate Coordinator and/or Department Chair and Associate Vice President of Graduate Studies, a graduate student may repeat, for the purpose of improving the grade, up to 6 units of credit in which a grade B- or below, or a grade of U, was achieved. In these cases only the most recent grade will count. Students must submit a course repeat form by the third week of the semester in which the course is being repeated and show proof of enrollment at that time. The Course Repeat Form for Graduate Students is available in the Graduate Studies, Research and International Programs Office, University Hall 265, (818) 677-2138.

Back to Top

Restricted Classes

Restricted classes are usually limited to certain groups of students such as freshmen, majors, credential candidates, and PACE. Review the Notes section in SOLAR Class Search to see if a class is restricted. If so, Class Search will display the words "Department/Instructor Consent Required."

You must use a Permission Number to enroll in a restricted class at all times. Before classes begin for the term, obtain permission from the academic department offering the course. After classes begin, contact the instructor.

See the tutorial Add a Class Using a Permission Number.

Back to Top

Time Conflict

It is the policy of CSUN that no student shall be permitted to enroll simultaneously in any two or more classes whose scheduled times overlap even by one minute. Students are advised to enroll in an alternative section that does not conflict with their current schedule.

Exceptions to this policy will be permitted ONLY IF one of the classes does not meet on a regular basis, such as an independent study, internship or lab class that permits independent lab work. Students who meet the acceptable criteria must submit a completed Time Conflict Enrollment Petition to Admissions and Records, Bayramian Hall 100, no later than 4 pm on the Friday of the third week of classes.

No Time Conflict Enrollment Petition will be accepted without the signatures of the instructor and department chair for each class. An approved Extra Unit Authorization form must accompany the petition if enrollment in the class will result in more than the maximum number of units allowed for the term or semester (see Maximum Unit Load).

Back to Top