CSUN  Wordmark
Enrollment Preparation

The following page is a two column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Enrollment Preparation

Registration Guide Home › Enrollment Preparation

Topics on this Page

Academic Advisement

Academic advisement is essential to increase your opportunity to succeed academically and progress steadily toward your degree objective. Regular advisement will help you to:

  1. Transition smoothly from your previous school to Cal State Northridge
  2. Avoid pitfalls that can create obstacles in your student career
  3. Save time and money by selecting the courses you need at the right time
  4. Take all the necessary steps that will lead to timely graduation

We strongly encourage you to plan next semester’s class schedule with an academic advisor.

Advisement is required for:

Where to get advisement:


First-time freshmen and transfer students - Prepare for the meeting with your advisor using the appropriate Advisement Checklist.


Apply for Graduation at 90 Units

Undergraduate students must apply for graduation when they have earned 90 units. All undergraduate students are required to make an academic plan and file for graduation before reaching 130 units, or they will not be able to enroll in classes for the following semester.

All coursework for majors and minors combined shall be completed within 140 units. For details and exceptions, see the Major and Minor Policy.

Students who have accumulated over 140 earned units may be graduated administratively if they have completed all degree requirements in any major, whether or not they have declared that major. For details, see the Administrative Graduation Policy.


Academic Advisement

Degree Planning Guides

Undergraduate Degree Services


Department Exams

Find out if you need an additional department exam. The Math Placement Test (MPT) or the Chemistry Placement Test (CPT) is required to enroll in certain lower division Math or Chemistry courses. However, you cannot take MPT or CPT until you pass the Entry Level Math (ELM) placement test or are exempt.

For more information, select CPT, MPT or ELM from the CSUN Testing Center page On-Campus Exams.

Developmental Courses (CSU Executive Order 665)

First-time freshmen are required to complete all developmental mathematics and writing courses within their first year of enrollment. Students who have not complied will not be eligible to register for classes in their second year.

If you do not complete your developmental courses in the first year, you will need to complete the required General Education courses at a community college before returning to CSUN. All community college courses must be ones identified by CSUN as transferable. To check whether or not a specific course is transferable from a community college to CSUN, go to www.assist.org.

General Education Basic Skills Policy

All four sections of General Education (GE) Basic Skills coursework must be completed by students within their first 60 units. All first-time freshmen will have mandatory advisement starting with their initial enrollment at the University and continuing each semester until the completion of Basic Skills.

Coursework must be completed as follows:

  1. Students will take a GE analytical reading and expository writing (AREW) course during their first semester at CSUN. Students will continue to enroll in a GE AREW course until they have passed the course. Students who must enroll in a preparatory reading and writing course before taking a GE AREW course will take their GE AREW course the semester following the completion of their preparatory courses.
  2. Students will take a GE mathematics course during their first semester at CSUN. Students will continue to enroll in a GE mathematics course until they have passed the course. Students who must enroll in developmental math courses before taking a GE mathematics course will take their GE mathematics course the semester following the completion of their developmental math courses.
  3. Students will complete coursework in GE critical thinking after they complete GE mathematics but still within their first 60 units.
  4. Students will complete coursework in GE oral communication within their first 60 units.

Basic Skills must be completed by all transfer students and all students seeking readmission after disqualification.

For more information, see the "General Education" section of the current University Catalog.

Mandatory Declaration of Major by 60 Units

Students are expected to declare their major by the conclusion of the semester in which they complete 45 units. Students must declare their major by the conclusion of the semester in which they complete 60 units. (Transfer students must declare a major in their transfer application.)

Students who have not declared their major and have completed 60 units will not be able to register until they obtain academic advisement at the Advising Resource Center/EOP.

Please note that there are new limits to the total number of units you can earn toward a double major, a major and a minor, or double minors. Learn more at Major and Minor Policy.

Special Advisement

Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES)

The Disability Resources and Educational Services offers a variety of support services designed to empower students, foster independence and promote achievement of realistic educational and career goals. Students must provide disability documentation and complete an intake with the department. A service agreement will then be developed, delineating the accommodations the student is eligible to receive. The service agreement must be renewed each semester as student accommodations may change based on updated information and individual course requirements.

Disability Resources and Educational Services may include:

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) at California State University, Northridge designs, administers, and supports programs that deliver access and retention services to CSUN students. EOP focuses on highly motivated low-income, first-generation college students, a population that not only reflects the diversity of CSUN’s feeder communities but also the diversity of the University itself.

EOP provides eligible students with a modest EOP grant. Also, students may participate in an EOP Transitional Program: Bridge Residential, Bridge Commuter, Transfer Bridge, or FreshStart. EOP’s Faculty Mentor Program provides mentoring services, training, and resources for faculty, staff, and students. Our EOP Resilient Scholars program empowers former foster youth through higher education and is committed to helping students exiting the foster care system succeed by providing access to key campus resources. Academic support services are provided to all students through the Student Services Centers and EOP Satellite Office located in each academic college and for undecided students in the Advising Resource Center/EOP.

EOP programs:

National Center on Deafness (NCOD)

Since 1962 the National Center on Deafness (NCOD) has pioneered in serving students who are deaf and hard of hearing at the university level. NCOD is internationally recognized for its programs and serves as a model for other institutes, providing innovative orientation programs, full communication access, and a comprehensive array of services. Each semester approximately 200 students who are deaf or hard of hearing have access to university classes, meetings and student sponsored co-curricular activities.

National Center on Deafness student services include:

Advisement Checklists

First-Time Freshman Checklist

If you are a first-time freshman, use the Freshman Checklist to prepare for academic advisement.

First-Time Transfer Student Checklist

If you are a first-time transfer student, use the Transfer Checklist to prepare for academic advisement.


All new CSUN students must purchase a CSUN Photo ID card. The card is required for:

  1. All transactions at the Student Services Center in Bayramian Hall (BH 100)—Admissions and Records, Financial Aid and Scholarships, and University Cash Services, including check pick-up

  2. Obtaining University Library campus services

  3. The Student Health Center

  4. The University Student Union

  5. Voting in Associated Student elections, obtaining tickets from the Associated Student Ticket Office at reduced rates, and attending CSUN athletic events and selected other campus programs at reduced rates or free of charge.

Purchase Your Photo ID Card

Online - Log into myNorthridge, select the Financial Matters tab, locate the My Financial Obligations box, and click the Purchase a Photo ID link.

  1. Pay by credit card (a 2.9% service fee is charged) or electronic check (no fee).

  2. Print your receipt. Bring it and a required photo ID (valid driver’s license, other state-issued ID, or passport) to Admissions and Records in the Student Services Center, Bayramian Hall Lobby (BH 100).

  3. Have photo taken and receive your card.

In Person - Go to the Student Services Center, Bayramian Hall Lobby (BH 100) and:

  1. Bring required photo ID (valid driver’s license, other state-issued ID, or passport).

  2. Pay $5.00 fee to University Cash Services (cashier window) first.

  3. Then take your receipt and photo ID card to one of the Admissions and Records windows to have your picture taken.

Hours: *

Monday and Thursday - 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Tuesday and Wednesday - 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Friday - 8:30 am to 4:00 pm

After Hours: A CSUN photo ID may be obtained at the Oviatt Library circulation desk.

*Note: Office hours can vary before holidays or special events. For updates, please check the Admissions and Records home page.

During the First Week of Late Registration: The Photo ID Station remains open the same extended hours as the Student Services Center but closes 15 minutes before end of business.

Immunization Requirements: Measles and Hepatitis B

By direction of the Chancellor, immunization for or immunity to Measles/Rubella is required for all students born after January 1, 1957, while immunization for or immunity to Hepatitis B is required for all entering CSUN students age 18 or younger. The Hepatitis B vaccine is given in a series of three shots and takes six months to complete. Click to view detailed Immunization Requirements, consequences of non-compliance and other immunization considerations.