CSUN  Wordmark
Undergraduate Degree Services (UDS) Graduation Checklist

The following page is a two column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

UDS Links

CSUN Graduation Checklist

Use this checklist to advance toward your bachelor's degree, avoid common obstacles and graduate in good time.

1. Before you apply to graduate

  • Manage your degree progress. Each semester before meeting with your advisor, review your Degree Progress Report (DPR). Plan the courses you'll take in future semesters using My Academic Planner (MAP) and the additional degree planning tools.
  • Schedule an appointment with your major and/or minor advisor(s) before enrolling in classes each semester. Print and take a copy of your DPR and planned courses in MAP to your advisement meeting.
  • Estimate the year and term—spring, summer or fall—when you plan to graduate.

2. Apply to graduate

  • When you have completed 90 units, apply for graduation. Complete the "Application for Bachelor's Degree and Diploma," available at How Do I Apply?, before the application deadline.
  • Verify and update your mailing address to ensure receipt of all graduation documents and commencement information, which will be sent to the address on record. Log into myNorthridge and select Home tab > Quick Links box > SOLAR Student Center > Personal Information.

3. Watch for your Graduation Evaluation

After you submit the "Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma," Undergraduate Degree Services will notify you to review all the degree requirements in your Graduation Evaluation/Degree Progress Report (DPR) *:

  • 1st Bachelor's Degree Candidates: You will receive a communication to your CSUN email account requesting you to review all your degree requirements in your online Graduation Evaluation/DPR.
  • 2nd Bachelor’s Degree Candidates: Your paper Graduation Evaluation/DPR will be mailed to the address on record. (Evaluations are not available online at this time.)
* When you apply to graduate, you will receive a special DPR that is clearly labeled "Graduation Evaluation." This report lists all your completed and incomplete degree requirements.

4. Review your DPR each semester

After you've applied to graduate, continue to review your DPR each semester. Look for any discrepancies. Please see the appropriate person, office or website below for assistance:

5. Submit Course Substitutions/Waivers

If needed, request that your major or minor department submit an approved “Course Substitution or Waiver” form to Undergraduate Degree Services for processing. Course Substitution or Waiver forms require the approval of your major/minor department. Please contact your department(s) for assistance.

6. Send us your transcripts

If you have attended any other institutions of higher education, submit all official transcripts to Admissions and Records as soon as possible.

7. Resolve grades of "Incomplete"

Resolve any “Incomplete” grades for CSUN courses. An Incomplete grade at CSUN must be removed within one calendar year of receipt and prior to your planned graduation date.

8. Pass the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam

Passing the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) is a graduation requirement; not passing will delay your graduation. Take and pass the UDWPE before the last possible test date for the semester or term of your planned graduation.

9. Complete your final semester

Review your Graduation Evaluation/Degree Progress Report with your advisor or your Undergraduate Degree Services consultant/evaluator.

10. Confirm awarding of the degree before the document deadline to graduate

Submit all documents required for graduation (transcripts, course substitution/waiver forms, etc.) on or before the document deadline published at Graduation Calendar.

11. Extend your anticipated graduation date if needed

If you won’t be able to complete all degree requirements by the end of the semester of your planned graduation date, you will need to submit a “Bachelor’s Degree Date Change” form and request the approval of Undergraduate Degree Services (UDS). The form is available at UDS Forms.

12. Clear university holds

Check and clear all your university holds. Log into myNorthridge and review My Checklist for hold messages.

13. "Walk" in Commencement

Verify whether or not your planned graduation date qualifies you to attend GradFest and participate in the upcoming Commencement Ceremony.

14. Receive your degree and diploma

Check your unofficial transcript for the degree posting through myNorthridge. Watch for an email from the Undergraduate Degree Services (UDS) Office informing you that your diploma has been mailed. If your degree is not posted, contact UDS as soon as possible.

Have additional questions?

For personal assistance:


back to top