CSUN  Wordmark
Transfer Student Admissions Criteria

The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Transfer Student Admissions Criteria


I Want to Apply - Transfer Student

Thank you for your interest in attending California State University, Northridge (CSUN). Please determine the kind of applicant you are.

  1. Are you a transfer student?   A transfer student has earned regionally accredited college credits after the summer immediately following high school graduation.
  2. Are you a lower or upper division transfer student?  Review the upper division transfer student admissions eligibility criteria below. If you haven’t yet met the upper division transfer requirements, then you are a lower division transfer applicant.
  3. New! Will you transfer to CSUN with an “Associate Degree for Transfer” (STAR Act - SB 1440)?  If you’ll complete an AA-T or an AS-T degree at a California community college and it is posted on your final, official transcript, you’ll be able to complete a bachelor’s degree at CSUN in 60 more units as long as the major you're transferring is "deemed similar" to one at CSUN. Before you apply, find out which CSUN majors have been approved for the Associate Degree for Transfer program at Choose a Degree.

Lower Division Transfer Students - Eligibility Requirements

Lower division transfer student applications are not currently considered for admission to Cal State Northridge. For exceptions and updates, please check the Admissions Calendar.

All lower division transfer students majoring in an exception need to:

New!  Official transcripts of all college courses including work in progress must be postmarked or hand delivered to Admissions and Records by the following due date:

Upper Division Transfer Students - Eligibility Requirements

Be sure to complete eligibility requirements within the following time frame for admission to:

All upper division transfer students need to:

*Students applying as Engineering or Computer Science majors do not have to complete Critical Thinking prior to admission.

Send Us Your Transcripts

Your official transcripts are needed to determine your admission eligibility.

Soon after you apply to CSUN, send us your official transcripts for:

  1. All courses taken at other colleges and universities previously attended even if the course work was not completed

  2. All courses in which you are currently enrolled (i.e., preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts). As soon as your work-in-progress is completed and grades are posted, send us your final transcripts.

All transcripts, preliminary and final, must be official (received in sealed, unopened envelopes). Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us. In some cases, transcripts may be sent to CSUN electronically. Check with your previous school.

Official transcripts showing completion of 60 units and the 4 basic subjects must be postmarked or hand delivered to Admissions and Records by the following due dates:

Send official transcripts to:
CSUN - Office of Admissions and Records, 18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330-8207

How to Apply

  1. Check application deadlines and program status (open, closed or exceptions) in the CSUN Admissions Calendar.
  2. Select a major from the CSUN Catalog. All transfer students must declare a major when applying. "Undecided" is not available.
  3. File an online application for admission through CSU Mentor.

After You Apply

After you have applied, visit the following links to find out what you'll need to do next in the application process:

If you do not e-file your Intent to Register by July 1, 2014, you cannot attend CSUN in the Fall 2014 semester.  See I Have Been Admitted.